The Pulse of Youth Soccer in Washington State

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: US Soccer Girls DA - More info now available  (Read 18835 times)

wit

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 07/10/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
US Soccer Girls DA - More info now available
« on: April 29, 2016, 02:30:07 PM »

US Soccer will start taking applications for the new Girls DA as of Monday. They have posted some updates including webinar dates here

http://www.ussoccerda.com/girls-academy-faqs

rustysurf83

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 11/06/2015
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: US Soccer Girls DA - More info now available
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 12:46:07 PM »

First 25 GDA clubs have been announced.  Reign, Crossfire, and Thorns all on the list.
http://www.soccerwire.com/news/clubs/youth-girls/u-s-soccer-reveals-first-25-clubs-for-girls-development-academy/

Unlucky1

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 31/01/2016
    Years
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 02:48:41 PM »

This will be very interesting to see how things develop.  It doesn't look like the DA is following their own guidelines when it comes to awarding clubs for the development of players.

Crossfire deserves a position since they are one of the top ranked female Clubs in the country by their ECNL showing. And they already have a boys academy team so that makes sense.  I get it.
Portland and the Reign???  Things that make you go hmmmm.
You will have a very hard time convincing me that there are enough elite players in the Northwest to fill 2 Academy teams and 5 ECNL teams.  How many players did Washington actually have training with the National team last year throughout all of the age groups???  12 at the most???  The math doesn't add up to me. :drinks:

metz123

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 29/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 03:32:35 PM »

Since when did a lack of actual elite players stop parents from pushing their kids into elite programs or stop clubs from forming elite teams?

At this rate there's not going to be enough teams left in the RCL to form more than 1 division. All the kids are playing on elite teams with national travel schedules. Pretty soon there's going to be an inverse pyramid in the USA where more kids play nationally than play locally.

ForTheKids

• WPS-SpamKing Special Agent
  • Joined 09/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 04:23:50 PM »

Since when did a lack of actual elite players stop parents from pushing their kids into elite programs or stop clubs from forming elite teams?

At this rate there's not going to be enough teams left in the RCL to form more than 1 division. All the kids are playing on elite teams with national travel schedules. Pretty soon there's going to be an inverse pyramid in the USA where more kids play nationally than play locally.

Marriott, Avis and Alaska Airlines score again!  Woohoo! Who cares about the kids, let em eat frequent flyer miles!

Panna Bear

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 09/10/2015
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 05:39:19 PM »

It is a talent grab fest. Really surprised Eastside didn't get one.

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 05:43:04 PM »

This will be very interesting to see how things develop.  It doesn't look like the DA is following their own guidelines when it comes to awarding clubs for the development of players.

Crossfire deserves a position since they are one of the top ranked female Clubs in the country by their ECNL showing. And they already have a boys academy team so that makes sense.  I get it.
Portland and the Reign???  Things that make you go hmmmm.
You will have a very hard time convincing me that there are enough elite players in the Northwest to fill 2 Academy teams and 5 ECNL teams.  How many players did Washington actually have training with the National team last year throughout all of the age groups???  12 at the most???  The math doesn't add up to me. :drinks:

I can understand the Thorns getting in - they have the most successful (at the box office) 1st team in the NWSL. No real track record of good coaching or success at the Academy level but... I'm assuming SU Reign is a similar deal. NWSL link but no real history.

justadad1

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 28/04/2015
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 09:09:03 AM »

Portland and the Reign??? Things that make you go hmmmm.

A fair amount of kids from Crossfire's 01s and 00s (Calender age) followed a certain coach over to Reign.  I'm more surprised WP DID NOT get in than I am Reign getting in.

mudge

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 11/05/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 11:53:33 AM »

Portland and the Reign??? Things that make you go hmmmm.

A fair amount of kids from Crossfire's 01s and 00s (Calender age) followed a certain coach over to Reign.  I'm more surprised WP DID NOT get in than I am Reign getting in.

Demographic$

soccerfan33

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 19/02/2014
    YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 12:32:30 PM »

This is nothing less taking advantage of parents living vicariously through their children.  The fractioning continues... 

silverdad

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/06/2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 01:59:14 PM »

This is nothing less taking advantage of parents living vicariously through their children.  The fractioning continues...

This is such an overused and politically correct statement.  I don't particularly like how the top tier of players keeps getting separated more and more from the rest of the state, leading that top tier of players to have to travel out of state to find games.  I agree that the definition of "top tier" keeps getting watered down.  I don't agree with the declaration that this is simply clubs taking advantage of parents living vicariously through their kids.  I don't have a daughter playing soccer, but statements like that are offensive.  There is a difference between wanting the best for your kid and living vicariously through them.

tripleplay

• WPS-Hall of Fame Poster
  • Joined 17/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 02:46:32 PM »

This is such an overused and politically correct statement.  I don't particularly like how the top tier of players keeps getting separated more and more from the rest of the state, leading that top tier of players to have to travel out of state to find games.  I agree that the definition of "top tier" keeps getting watered down.  I don't agree with the declaration that this is simply clubs taking advantage of parents living vicariously through their kids.  I don't have a daughter playing soccer, but statements like that are offensive.  There is a difference between wanting the best for your kid and living vicariously through them.
Not only that but there is zero evidence that these changes are driven by parents. This is soccer bureaucrats fighting to control kids.

ForTheKids

• Joined 09/03/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 03:14:21 PM »

Not only that but there is zero evidence that these changes are driven by parents. This is soccer bureaucrats fighting to control kids.

No, its soccer bureaucrats and coaches securing another guaranteed cost increase by further redefining 'elite'.  Adults will do well with this. The kids?  Well, I think they get to kiss HS soccer goodbye for the hopes to earn minimum wages someday in the NWSL.  Bravo.  Coaches are more or less the same dudes doing it already.

Unlucky1

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 31/01/2016
    Years
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 05:15:07 PM »

I think it is fair to say FC Portland and Crossfire Oregon are not at the top end of the food chain in the ECNL.  Right now you could make a fair case that the Thorns are a distant 3rd in Oregon.  So the only players available for the Thorns are the ones playing for Crossfire Oregon and FC Portland???  Yikes!
Reign has not participated in an ECNL event and is going through the growing pains of having to set up an entirely different system that conflicts with the RCL calendar etc....  As it was pointed out, SU is getting a number of players from Crossfire.  Question:  Is the Reign Academy Team the "A" team and the ECNL the "B" team?  If you are struggling to get players to fill out 5 ECNL age groups, where are you going to find enough national team caliber players to fill out another 3 age groups with a team roster of 20-25 for the Academy?
Remember when you used to get a trophy for winning 1st 2nd or 3rd?  And now everybody gets one?  Looks like everyone in Washington is now an "Elite" player.  I feel sorry for the Clubs who are truly developing good players and don't have Academy, ECNL, EPD PSPL Academy next to their name.

soccerfan33

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 19/02/2014
    YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 09:59:51 PM »

The statement was not meant to be offensive.  The statement was made because many parents are paying a lot of money with little to show for it but the opportunity to say my daughter/son plays RCL/Premier/highest level or because they think that if their child plays at the 'top' level they are guaranteed a college scholarship.  There is a difference between wanting the best for your child and living vicariously through them.  In a perfect world the top tier(s) would be free and all players would all have the ability to try out and be placed on merit.  Too often it is decided by who knows who and who will pay for it.  There was not any declaration that 'this is simply clubs taking advantage of parents living vicariously through their kids.'  There are many people involved in youth sports with their hands out...all the more eager to woo the parents willing to hand out the money because they want the best for thier kid or because they want to live vicariously through them.  Listening on the sidelines of any youth sport, you can spot them easily.

Panna Bear

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 09/10/2015
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 06:54:44 AM »

http://www.ussoccerda.com/girls-da-welcomes-28-additional-clubs

28 more clubs to DA, including Eastside FC. 53 DA clubs, so far.
3 ECNL and 3 DA, elite teams for mostly the Seattle area.
Lots of cash cows, ready to be milked, I reckon.

Squash

• Administrator
  • WPS-Hall of Fame Poster
  • Soccer Soldier
  • Joined 01/09/2005
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • WPS-Soccer...The Pulse
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2016, 07:29:53 AM »

Youth Soccer is totally becoming the parent milking grounds.........MMMMMMmmmmmmoooooooooney

ForTheKids

• Joined 09/03/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2016, 12:37:17 PM »

Didn't know there were 120 elite players per age in western WA! Who knew! RIP RCL D1

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 01:51:23 PM »

Didn't know there were 120 elite players per age in western WA! Who knew! RIP RCL D1

All depends on how you define elite. :)

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2016, 05:51:06 AM »

ECNL Member Clubs Affirm Membership

RICHMOND, VA (July 12, 2016) – The Elite Clubs National League concluded its seventh season this past weekend in Germantown, MD, crowning National Champions at the U15, U16 and U17 age groups in the 2016 ECNL Final Four.  As the 2015-16 season ends, the league is already preparing for a fantastic 2016-17 season and beyond.

The changes in the development and competition landscape that have been spurred by the ECNL over the past seven years are continuing at an even higher pace.  As the youth landscape continues to evolve, the league will continue to maintain the highest standards in competition, performance and other areas for its member clubs.  This commitment includes ensuring that all clubs in the league meet these standards each year, and that each member club is committed and able to meet or exceed them moving forward.  This determination is made based on an objective review of each club’s past performance, club depth and strength, and additional factors and unique circumstances of each club.   

After initiating this review process, and in discussions with leadership of top performing clubs, the ECNL has approved the membership of the below listed clubs at this time, and each club has re-affirmed its membership in the ECNL in both the 2016-17 and 2017-18 seasons.  The ECNL will continue to review other clubs’ eligibility for membership.
•Crossfire Premier
•Dallas Sting
•Dallas Texans
•Eclipse Select Soccer Club
•FC Stars of Massachusetts
•Michigan Hawks
•PDA
•Real Colorado
•San Diego Surf
•Slammers FC
•So Cal Blues SC

“The Michigan Hawks are committed to participating in the ECNL moving forward.  Over the last five years, the ECNL has provided all of our players and coaches a fantastic platform of competition, and an environment that has driven player development.  We have improved and grown immensely as a club because of the league, and are excited to have the league as a part of our club programming for many years to come.”

-Michigan Hawks Director of Coaching, Doug Landefeld

“PDA is very proud to be part of the ECNL, and will continue to be part of the league in the future. The ECNL has had a positive impact at PDA, from staff development, player development, as well as coaching education. The influence of the ECNL can be felt at every level within our club, and we are excited to be a part of the future.”

-PDA Girls Director of Coaching, Mike O’Neill

“The ECNL has played a significant role in the growth and development of Real Colorado.  We look forward to the continuing challenge to raise the standards of our club, compete with top clubs in the country and strive for excellence the ECNL environment provides and demands.”

-Real Colorado Chief Operating Officer, Jared Spires

The ECNL has led and transformed female youth soccer in the past seven years, and the league will continue to do so moving forward.  As the mission to RAISE THE GAME continues, the league will continue to support its clubs, and continue the ongoing assessment of each club’s ability to maintain the highest standards in the league.

silverdad

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/06/2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2016, 07:12:30 AM »

RICHMOND, VA (July 12, 2016) – The Elite Clubs National League concluded its seventh season this past weekend in Germantown, MD, crowning National Champions at the U15, U16 and U17 age groups in the 2016 ECNL Final Four.  As the 2015-16 season ends, the league is already preparing for a fantastic 2016-17 season and beyond.

The changes in the development and competition landscape that have been spurred by the ECNL over the past seven years are continuing at an even higher pace.  As the youth landscape continues to evolve, the league will continue to maintain the highest standards in competition, performance and other areas for its member clubs.  This commitment includes ensuring that all clubs in the league meet these standards each year, and that each member club is committed and able to meet or exceed them moving forward.  This determination is made based on an objective review of each club’s past performance, club depth and strength, and additional factors and unique circumstances of each club.   

After initiating this review process, and in discussions with leadership of top performing clubs, the ECNL has approved the membership of the below listed clubs at this time, and each club has re-affirmed its membership in the ECNL in both the 2016-17 and 2017-18 seasons.  The ECNL will continue to review other clubs’ eligibility for membership.
•Crossfire Premier
•Dallas Sting
•Dallas Texans
•Michigan Hawks
•PDA
•Real Colorado
•San Diego Surf
•Slammers FC
•So Cal Blues SC

“The Michigan Hawks are committed to participating in the ECNL moving forward.  Over the last five years, the ECNL has provided all of our players and coaches a fantastic platform of competition, and an environment that has driven player development.  We have improved and grown immensely as a club because of the league, and are excited to have the league as a part of our club programming for many years to come.”

“PDA is very proud to be part of the ECNL, and will continue to be part of the league in the future. The ECNL has had a positive impact at PDA, from staff development, player development, as well as coaching education. The influence of the ECNL can be felt at every level within our club, and we are excited to be a part of the future.”

“The ECNL has played a significant role in the growth and development of Real Colorado.  We look forward to the continuing challenge to raise the standards of our club, compete with top clubs in the country and strive for excellence the ECNL environment provides and demands.”

The ECNL has led and transformed female youth soccer in the past seven years, and the league will continue to do so moving forward.  As the mission to RAISE THE GAME continues, the league will continue to support its clubs, and continue the ongoing assessment of each club’s ability to maintain the highest standards in the league.

The ECNL had at least 80 member clubs this past season.  Only 11 are listed here.  How do all of you interpret this?  Will ECNL still have a big number of clubs, closer to 80 than 11?  Or is ECNL losing a massive number of clubs and restructuring to become more "elite" again?

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2016, 07:51:14 AM »

I think this was a "calm the masses" type of statement basically saying that all of the top clubs, even though they will field DA teams in 2017, have also committed to fielding teams in ECNL at the same time. And if the top clubs think that membership in the ECNL still has considerable value, then the smaller clubs will stay the course too.

Of course, how many of each clubs top players choose DA or ECNL remains to be seen. My guess is that the top talent will be split between the two teams with both being weaker than they would have been otherwise. And, lets face it, of the 79 clubs in ECNL this year, many fielded teams that were a lot weaker than those from the "top 11". So, if the teams from the "top 11" happen to be weakened a little bit it will only make the whole league more competitive overall, which should be thought of as a good thing.

At the end of the day, you'll have 3 national leagues (ECNL, GDA, USYS National League) that are all weaker at the top end than they would be with only 1 league.

wit

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 07/10/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2016, 09:14:31 AM »

•Crossfire Premier
•Dallas Sting
•Dallas Texans
•Michigan Hawks
•PDA
•Real Colorado
•San Diego Surf
•Slammers FC
•So Cal Blues SC

I think it is pretty obvious what is going to happen to ECNL.

The ECNL will continue to have 80 clubs but the standard that those clubs put out will not be of the level that we are all use to seeing. Any club that is in the GDA and remains in ECNL will be putting B teams into ECNL but the koolaid loving parents will have no idea that is happening. All they will know is that their daughter is participating in ENCL.

Lets not forget that ECNL is part of US Club Soccer which is a subsidiary of CC&C Management which in turn is a marketing organization. If ECNL does lose any clubs they will simply back fill with other clubs waiting to get in and the marketing machine will roll on without skipping a beat.

Regardless of any marketing prowess from US Club, US Soccer or US Youth Soccer, the proof will be in the pudding i.e, Where do the college coaches go?

rustysurf83

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 11/06/2015
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 01:22:48 PM »

I wonder if college coaches even have the time to take on the DA schedule.  4 days a week, plus what will likely be extensive travel, for 10 months a year?  That seems pretty extensive on top of another full time job.

wit

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 07/10/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2016, 01:35:20 PM »

I have and never will buy into the whole "college coach" thing but it is what parents want to see. There is no doubt that the college coaches will have to pick a choose a little more carefully in the future.  Some college coaches will go with whoever treats them the best, whilst those that have any kind of ethics will go to where they think they can pick up a player or two. At several of the key ECNL events National Coaches/Scouts use to attend but were paid by ECNL to be there.  I am not sure that will continue given the fact that US Soccer has basically told ECNL that they were not needed and can do it all themselves to which ECNL's response was  a big middle finger to US Soccer and the announcement of a boys ECNL.

Just to add to the whole college coach attendance discussion,  most college coaches do not attend National Events, they focus on the regional level, why you ask?,  bang for the buck and more localized recruiting

If I was back in business college this industry would make a great project.

sportsfan3

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 16/04/2014
    YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2016, 03:04:46 PM »

Is Seattle Reign Academy part of SU or only partnered with them? Several girls left their clubs to join Reign. What will happen to them if they don't make the top 1-8 (or 10) roster spots for GDA In their respective birth year? If Reign loses their ECNL status and SU isn't granted membership those 2nd half rostered players may find themselves having to find another club next season. And how welcoming would Crossfire be to those players that left them to play at Reign? Would Crossfire welcome them back to their ECNL teams?

bebu

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 07/05/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2016, 03:51:02 PM »

This is a non-issue. Reign was recently accepted into ECNL. There's no reason for them to be removed from ECNL.

Unlucky1

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 31/01/2016
    Years
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2016, 04:48:55 PM »

Interesting Reading from Soccer Wire about the DA and ECNL.

http://www.soccerwire.com/news/clubs/ecnl/its-bullst-let-the-girls-play-real-colorado-coach-rips-ussfs-ecnl-scheduling-snub/

Also, I wouldn't bet my paycheck on saying SU is a 100% go in the ECNL next year.......
I am sure the ECNL is carefully reviewing each Clubs membership status who accepted a position with the DA.  In my opinion, Crossfire is the only Club in Washington that can support both.  Financially, ECNL Rating and longevity in the league.  It also helps that they have a boys Academy team.

Soundbound

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 14/10/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2016, 05:32:34 PM »

@Unlucky1, this was the ECNL press release on April 8, announcing the five new member clubs for 2016/17, including Seattle Reign Academy. Four of those five clubs are also among the 53 that have been accepted to GDA. ECNL knew those clubs also would be applying to GDA, and likely would be accepted, when it accepted them.

http://www.eliteclubsnationalleague.com/home/912108.html

Unlucky1

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 31/01/2016
    Years
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2016, 02:48:22 PM »

ECNL Member Clubs:

The changes in the youth development and competition landscape that have been spurred by the ECNL over the past seven years are continuing at an even higher pace today.  As the youth landscape continues to evolve, the league will continue to maintain the highest standards in competition, performance and other areas for its member clubs.  This commitment includes ensuring that all clubs in the league meet these standards each year, and that each member club is committed and able to meet or exceed them moving forward.   

Consistent with prior years, the ECNL will be reviewing the membership of all clubs for the upcoming season.  At this time, the ECNL is reviewing the 2017-2018 membership of all clubs attempting to participate in multiple national-level platforms.  This review will take into account several factors, including the history of performance within the ECNL, club depth and strength, and additional factors and other unique circumstances.

This review process for those clubs attempting to participate in multiple national-level platforms has begun, and at this time eleven clubs have been approved for membership in 2017-2018.  These clubs are listed below:   
Crossfire Premier
Dallas Sting
Dallas Texans
Eclipse Select
FC Stars of Mass
Michigan Hawks
PDA
Real Colorado
San Diego Surf
Slammers FC
So Cal Blues
The league will continue this review process in the coming weeks and months, and will notify clubs of their membership renewal or non-renewal.  We are committed to maintaining the competitive standards and integrity of the ECNL and ensuring all participating clubs are able to meet them.
###

About Elite Clubs National League: The Elite Clubs National League (ECNL) was founded in 2009 to enhance the developmental experience of female youth soccer players in the United States through: (i) improving the competitive environment through creation of a true national competitive league; (ii) improving the process for identifying elite female soccer players for college and youth national teams through a systematic scouting and identification program based on national competitions; and (iii) improving the daily training environment at top female youth soccer clubs through developing best practices and training and organizational guidelines for its member clubs.  The ECNL is sanctioned by US Club Soccer and is sponsored by Nike Soccer.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up