The Pulse of Youth Soccer in Washington State

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: US Soccer Girls DA - More info now available  (Read 18595 times)

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: US Soccer Girls DA - More info now available
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2016, 09:27:06 AM »

Some recent updates from a buddy of mine in the Bay area whose DD plays for Mustang ECNL.

Verified:

Mustang has dropped out of the GDA
San Juan and Davis have merged their GDA operation after both being accepted individually

Not Yet Verified:

Sereno (AZ) and Match Fit (NJ) have dropped out of the GDA.

soccerfan22

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 16/11/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2016, 10:26:44 AM »

Some recent updates from a buddy of mine in the Bay area whose DD plays for Mustang ECNL.

Verified:

San Juan and Davis have merged their GDA operation after both being accepted individually

Not Yet Verified:

Interesting, did he say why the drop outs?

ForTheKids

• WPS-SpamKing Special Agent
  • Joined 09/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2016, 10:36:24 AM »

I wii will hazard a guess.  Mustangs parents are focused on college and GDA not needed for that. SAN Juan is not S deep club.  Being in GDA is a shocker and I suspect they could not swing it on slot of fronts without combining resource pool.

IMO GDA should be far less size. Perhaps. 25.  I think this could prove to be very embarrassing for us soccer. 

tripleplay

• WPS-Hall of Fame Poster
  • Joined 17/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2016, 01:09:40 PM »

Verified:

Not Yet Verified:

Thank you. Please keep the information coming!

English1

• Joined 08/06/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2016, 08:59:27 AM »

I think clubs will begin to question whether the grass is greener in the DA. 
English

lastplanet

• Joined 26/04/2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2016, 11:26:09 AM »

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2016, 05:19:46 PM »

Verified:

Not Yet Verified:

Confirmation on Match Fit

http://www.soccerwire.com/news/clubs/youth-girls/match-fit-academy-fc-declines-girls-da-invite-sticks-with-ecnl/

Unlucky1

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 31/01/2016
    Years
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2016, 07:18:17 PM »

It is refreshing to see Match Fit take the time to make a decision on what is best for their staff and players. Cheers to them!
All of the points that Match Fit brought up I see are real concerns for our area too.  It will be interesting to see if any Club in the Northwest will have the foresight to make the same type of decision. 
There are a lot of hidden costs that are not being fully considered. Coaching staff for both DA and ECNL enough field space to train DA teams.  Seems like all Clubs need more field space especially in the winter when boys and girls are both playing.

As the DA starts coming to fruition, it will be interesting to see how each Club will compete for players.  I am sure SU will be promoting the Reign Academy, Crossfire will offer to play for free, EFC will take the players who don't make the Play for free model and WPFC will be busy promoting the ECNL experience.
Feel sorry for parents trying to navigate this web of half truths, misleading information, my Club is better than theirs, DA vs ECNL, you can't play high school soccer there but you can play it here! :drinks:

ForTheKids

• Joined 09/03/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2016, 06:00:35 AM »

Confirmation on Match Fit

http://www.soccerwire.com/news/clubs/youth-girls/match-fit-academy-fc-declines-girls-da-invite-sticks-with-ecnl/

Credit Match Fit for looking ahead to see how this plays out. I cannot imagine the internal activities and machinations of any club trying to field both a DA and ECNL program.  Ugh, not fun.

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2017, 10:13:57 AM »

Portland Thorns collaborating with De Anza on "California Thorns" GDA program

http://www.nocalsoccer.com/index.php?threads/portland-thorns-breaking-into-bay-area-by-partnering-with-force.982/

Seems a bit weird given the bad rep the Thorns Academy has in Oregon already but I guess the brand of the NWSL team is worth something...

Unlucky1

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 31/01/2016
    Years
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2017, 07:57:04 PM »

Fascinating to see Norcal concerned about lack of depth of talent to accommodate both ECNL and DA with competing Clubs.  Shows the craziness of Washington leaders thinking this will be a successful model here.
Crossfire still gets the best girls by paying for all the fees.  Players in DA in the bottom 1/3rd of the roster will learn after a year that as hard as they train and do what the coaches tell them to do to improve their game, they will only be scrimmage mates.

Nobody has brought up the lack of depth with US Soccer Staff.  Currently they don't have enough scouts/coaches to cover ECNL games at events.  How do they expect to coach all of these players?  Heck, they can't even agree on a coaching curriculum.
So I guess you do a mass hire of retreads with old certificates??????

Furthermore, I have a hard time supporting a group that does not have equal pay, fields and perks for our DD's?
Has anyone noticed how many NWSL players are moving across the pond to play at top notch facilities? Or how many are moving on in their lives because they need to start a real career because soccer cannot pay the bills?

raddad

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 26/05/2014
    YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2017, 05:06:27 AM »

very interesting comments from april heinrichs about gda and hs soccer. it may be a non-issue. RIP ECNL

SA: By not allowing Development Academy girls to play high school soccer, U.S. Soccer has given the ECNL some leverage in convincing girls to stay in their league. Are you still 100 percent confident that “no high school soccer” was the right move?

APRIL HEINRICHS: First of all, let me clarify. Girls can play high school soccer. They just can’t do both at the same time.

SA: So can they play for a Development Academy team and play high school soccer?

APRIL HEINRICHS: Not at the same time. The club can roster them. They can spend those two months out of the Development Academy, and then come back later in the season. The Girls Development Academy will be a 10-month season.

We’re saying girls have to make choices. There’s the Girls Development Academy. There’s high school soccer, ECNL, other leagues -- girls cannot do it all.

SA: But if I am a Development Academy club, I can roster them, let them go to play high school soccer, and they can come back and rejoin the team after the high school season?

APRIL HEINRICHS: Yes.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/71034/april-heinrichs-on-under-17-world-cup-development.html

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2017, 09:07:05 AM »

very interesting comments from april heinrichs about gda and hs soccer. it may be a non-issue. RIP ECNL

SA: By not allowing Development Academy girls to play high school soccer, U.S. Soccer has given the ECNL some leverage in convincing girls to stay in their league. Are you still 100 percent confident that “no high school soccer” was the right move?

APRIL HEINRICHS: First of all, let me clarify. Girls can play high school soccer. They just can’t do both at the same time.

SA: So can they play for a Development Academy team and play high school soccer?

APRIL HEINRICHS: Not at the same time. The club can roster them. They can spend those two months out of the Development Academy, and then come back later in the season. The Girls Development Academy will be a 10-month season.

We’re saying girls have to make choices. There’s the Girls Development Academy. There’s high school soccer, ECNL, other leagues -- girls cannot do it all.

SA: But if I am a Development Academy club, I can roster them, let them go to play high school soccer, and they can come back and rejoin the team after the high school season?

APRIL HEINRICHS: Yes.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/71034/april-heinrichs-on-under-17-world-cup-development.html

Except that the clubs are required to field competitive teams for all games and they won't be able to do that if their best players are playing HS soccer. So either that requirement will be waived also, further watering down the quality of the league, or the clubs will only allow the "reserve" players to play HS soccer.

raddad

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 26/05/2014
    YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2017, 05:26:35 PM »

I think the "best" e.g. national team/regional level players will self-select and not play hs soccer anyway. some of the camps and things conflict and if they have a shot at national team I'd think most would take it. but this really hits ecnl in terms of their hs differentiator which is really important for the "average" elite player (lol) which is the majority of the players filling the rosters. they are usually important players on their hs teams and the hs rule can be a deciding factor for them.

Except that the clubs are required to field competitive teams for all games and they won't be able to do that if their best players are playing HS soccer. So either that requirement will be waived also, further watering down the quality of the league, or the clubs will only allow the "reserve" players to play HS soccer.

tripleplay

• Joined 17/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2017, 08:51:14 AM »

I think the "best" e.g. national team/regional level players will self-select and not play hs soccer anyway. some of the camps and things conflict and if they have a shot at national team I'd think most would take it.
Historically this isn't true. Remember many ECNL clubs have highly discouraged HS participation as well. There are always some HS opt outs, but it doesn't seem to correlate with eliteness. In fact I'd say opting out is more popular with the role player on the elite team, since they are worried that they won't stand out in HS and want to do what they can to curry favor with their club coach too. Truly elite players generally love the sport and love to play and love to challenge themselves whenever and wherever they can.

For the boys DA (which is more elite than the girls will be) they play before joining the DA and some quit the DA to come back at the end. They don't play at the same time, do they?

The real factor in opting out is the HS. There are some lousy programs that the kids don't want to play for. If people wanted to make US Soccer stronger, that is where the focus should be. Good and popular HS soccer raises the status of the sport in society. Pseudo-elite leagues that nobody knows about and nobody cares about do not.

2Shortie

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 01/09/2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2017, 04:00:43 PM »

I think the "best" e.g. national team/regional level players will self-select and not play hs soccer anyway. some of the camps and things conflict and if they have a shot at national team I'd think most would take it.
Historically this isn't true. Remember many ECNL clubs have highly discouraged HS participation as well. There are always some HS opt outs, but it doesn't seem to correlate with eliteness. In fact I'd say opting out is more popular with the role player on the elite team, since they are worried that they won't stand out in HS and want to do what they can to curry favor with their club coach too.
Not sure how you jumped to that conclusion.

tripleplay

• Joined 17/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2017, 06:19:41 PM »

Historically this isn't true. Remember many ECNL clubs have highly discouraged HS participation as well. There are always some HS opt outs, but it doesn't seem to correlate with eliteness. In fact I'd say opting out is more popular with the role player on the elite team, since they are worried that they won't stand out in HS and want to do what they can to curry favor with their club coach too.
It's a personal observation. I've seen many (truly) elite players fulfill higher level commitments while playing HS. I've seen average players on the elite teams sit out. As I said, I think the biggest factor in the opt-out decision is the perceived quality of the HS program. But there is a (legitimate) concern about whether the niche you've perfected over years of being on an elite team has any value on a completely different team, where you might have a different role. Some players aren't willing to risk it.

raddad

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 26/05/2014
    YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2017, 04:15:58 AM »

as usual, you have no idea what you are talking about
 :)

It's a personal observation. I've seen many (truly) elite players fulfill higher level commitments while playing HS. I've seen average players on the elite teams sit out. As I said, I think the biggest factor in the opt-out decision is the perceived quality of the HS program. But there is a (legitimate) concern about whether the niche you've perfected over years of being on an elite team has any value on a completely different team, where you might have a different role. Some players aren't willing to risk it.

tripleplay

• Joined 17/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2017, 08:52:30 AM »

Mallory Pugh played HS. Truly good players generally self-select to play. And that's not coincidence. Being good and wanting to play go together for a reason.

There is lots of griping in the Boys DA over the lack of playing opportunities. I've known people (whose parents could afford it) who dropped out of DA to play club (and HS). Girls DA will be even worse because it won't have the financial subsidy that the boys get. So the quantity of games will be even lower (to save money) as will the quality of the play (because there is little parity and many games will be mismatches). Note the latter point has affected ECNL as well with expansion way beyond the available talent. Crossfire is typically nationally a top 10 club. They win a lot of uncompetitive blowouts.

What you want, of course, is enough games with a high percentage of competitive ones. High School gives you quantity, but sucks on competitiveness. That should be a priority for improvement.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 09:11:09 AM by tripleplay »

ForTheKids

• Joined 09/03/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2017, 09:07:20 AM »

Raddad, yup.

lastplanet

• Joined 26/04/2011
    • View Profile

EWSoccer64

• Joined 07/02/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2017, 09:21:11 PM »

<<<<

Tell us all the exceptional players you have seen play in club and HS.   Hope Solo was an exceptional player at the HS age level.   Preston and Brandon Zimmerman showed great potential, but were not the "exceptional" top 20 in the nation types from what I saw of them at HS.   Vanessa Hileman was the Washington HS player of the year, do not remember where she went to college or if she did, never heard of her after HS. 
   HS is a great place to get hurt, and most serious players seem to have their skill level degrade while playing there.    Really.   Serious coaches who know soccer will state that privately.   But then TP is not a coach, nor is he any sort of expert on players or soccer.  So he sees a sprinter who latches onto a long ball at the HS level as the second coming.

sounderfan

• Joined 02/09/2005
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • goalWA.net
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2017, 11:57:06 AM »

ForTheKids

• Joined 09/03/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2017, 05:49:57 PM »

Fewer spots 

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2017, 06:42:22 PM »

Seattle Reign FC, Seattle United, and Eastside FC join forces to expand Reign Academy

https://goalwashington.wordpress.com/2017/03/24/seattle-reign-fc-seattle-united-and-eastside-fc-join-forces-to-expand-reign-academy/

More evidence that the GDA is on life support even before it's born.

tripleplay

• Joined 17/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2017, 07:30:44 PM »

Fewer spots
Is that so? It sounds like the same number of spots but half are DA2, whatever that means.

rustysurf83

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 11/06/2015
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2017, 07:55:24 PM »

Fewer spots
Is that so? It sounds like the same number of spots but half are DA2, whatever that means.

DA2 doesnt mean anything.  It was a ridiculous attempt by a few clubs to get more money out of B team families by touting development, but was never sanctioned or approved by USSF.

tripleplay

• Joined 17/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2017, 10:11:38 PM »

DA2 doesnt mean anything.  It was a ridiculous attempt by a few clubs to get more money out of B team families by touting development, but was never sanctioned or approved by USSF.
Well, it will have half the kids at least. It wasn't clear whether both SU and EFC would have a DA2 team, or whether there would be one combined DA2 team. Who would they play?

Does anyone have info on costs/subsidies?

raddad

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 26/05/2014
    YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2017, 08:07:10 AM »

I think it's probably the same amount of spots. originally Eastside and SU were to each have DA teams. What I get from this is that they are going to combine the top half of their rosters into a single DA team and then the second half of those rosters into a DA2 team. That will obviously make their combined team a lot stronger. Not sure how they are going to work out where the teams practice.

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2017, 08:29:18 AM »

Well, it will have half the kids at least. It wasn't clear whether both SU and EFC would have a DA2 team, or whether there would be one combined DA2 team. Who would they play?

Does anyone have info on costs/subsidies?

DA2 will play in RCL.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up