The Pulse of Youth Soccer in Washington State

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: US Soccer Girls DA - More info now available  (Read 18055 times)

tripleplay

• WPS-Hall of Fame Poster
  • Joined 17/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: US Soccer Girls DA - More info now available
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2017, 08:56:44 AM »

DA2 doesnt mean anything.  It was a ridiculous attempt by a few clubs to get more money out of B team families by touting development, but was never sanctioned or approved by USSF.
Well, it will have half the kids at least. It wasn't clear whether both SU and EFC would have a DA2 team, or whether there would be one combined DA2 team. Who would they play?

Does anyone have info on costs/subsidies?

DA2 will play in RCL.
So SU and EFC will each have "DA2" teams at each RCL age group? Interesting.

SU is losing elite teams, replacing ECNL with a smaller # of DA teams.

WPFC is staying the same, having elite teams in ECNL.

EFC is staying the same, having no teams in elite leagues.

Crossfire is gaining elite teams, having teams in both ECNL and DA.

Is that a fair summary?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 09:02:54 AM by tripleplay »

ForTheKids

• WPS-SpamKing Special Agent
  • Joined 09/03/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2017, 01:53:25 PM »

Your synopsis is accurate.

And telling.

I always guessed the general consensus at EFC would be the parents there were not huge advocates of trying to run a DA or an ECNL sort of experience, rather get the girls ready for college if they wish to play there but ensure academics comes first.  This move is not a surprise.  Its actually probably good since combining the best there that want to do this with the players in Seattle that SHOULD be doing this makes for a good combination.

For Crossfire, my guess is their DA will be strong and their ECNL team is going to be weak.

I'm not sure what WPFC's play is here.  Maybe they will focus on getting Tacoma to start growing their players.

tripleplay

• Joined 17/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2017, 06:37:44 PM »

Your synopsis is accurate.

And telling.

I always guessed the general consensus at EFC would be the parents there were not huge advocates of trying to run a DA or an ECNL sort of experience, rather get the girls ready for college if they wish to play there but ensure academics comes first.  This move is not a surprise.  Its actually probably good since combining the best there that want to do this with the players in Seattle that SHOULD be doing this makes for a good combination.

For Crossfire, my guess is their DA will be strong and their ECNL team is going to be weak.

I'm not sure what WPFC's play is here.  Maybe they will focus on getting Tacoma to start growing their players.
I think WPFC might be in a good spot. Simply for reasons of geography they have the only elite teams to south. They are now 1 of 2 ECNL clubs (instead of 1 of 3) and they shouldn't lose players to Crossfire (which has happened in the past because Crossfire has consistently been a top-10 club nationally, but will unlikely be able to maintain that behind a DA team).

It's hard to predict, of course.

Is it clear what the HS policy will be for DA1? SU came out strongly against it at first.

ForTheKids

• Joined 09/03/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2017, 09:30:17 PM »

Is it clear what the HS policy will be for DA1? SU came out strongly against it at first.

US Soccer has setup the arrangement to support clubs screwing around with it.  During HS, DA players will be moved to DA2, thereby honoring the letter of the rule.

SU came out strongly cause their families own the Metro league and parents are not giving that up for DA stuff.

tripleplay

• Joined 17/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2017, 09:45:36 PM »

US Soccer has setup the arrangement to support clubs screwing around with it.  During HS, DA players will be moved to DA2, thereby honoring the letter of the rule.

SU came out strongly cause their families own the Metro league and parents are not giving that up for DA stuff.
I heard it the other way. Initially SU was touting the no-HS rule loudly, as an advantage. And I think SU's older ECNL teams aren't that strong.

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2017, 05:48:33 AM »

Latest news from De Anza Force. Another top club drops GDA.

"Force ECNL 2017-18
03/24/2017, 2:15pm PDT
By Alex Booth

The De Anza Soccer Club is a proud member of the ECNL, and it looks forward to having its top players and teams participate in the ECNL 2017-2018 season, as the Club’s top competitive platform for female soccer players. The De Anza Soccer Club supports the ECNL’s mission and programs, as the ECNL continues to be the top competitive and developmental program for youth female soccer players in the United States.

The De Anza Soccer Club has no ownership of or other contractual relationship with the Thorns FC program and the Club’s current ECNL coaches will not be coaching any teams at Thorns FC."

http://www.deanzaforce.org/news_article/show/773042?referrer_id=952506

ForTheKids

• Joined 09/03/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2017, 11:08:16 AM »

The De Anza Soccer Club is a proud member of the ECNL, and it looks forward to having its top players and teams participate in the ECNL 2017-2018 season, as the Club’s top competitive platform for female soccer players. The De Anza Soccer Club supports the ECNL’s mission and programs, as the ECNL continues to be the top competitive and developmental program for youth female soccer players in the United States.

The De Anza Soccer Club has no ownership of or other contractual relationship with the Thorns FC program and the Club’s current ECNL coaches will not be coaching any teams at Thorns FC."

Ok, if Deanza dumped DA, my guess is basically what is happening is families with means have decided that ECNL is good enough and DA is too much a hassle. And this club and others is not getting traction from their parents to justify doing DA.  I think they prefer they get a degree from a quality college over a long-shot at the US YNT/WNT.  Just a hunch.  Regardless, this is bad news for US Soccer's attempts to steal the market from the ECNL.

tripleplay

• Joined 17/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2017, 12:51:45 PM »

Ok, if Deanza dumped DA, my guess is basically what is happening is families with means have decided that ECNL is good enough and DA is too much a hassle. And this club and others is not getting traction from their parents to justify doing DA.  I think they prefer they get a degree from a quality college over a long-shot at the US YNT/WNT.  Just a hunch.  Regardless, this is bad news for US Soccer's attempts to steal the market from the ECNL.

It's not just the parents, FTK.

I am curious about SU. They tried to lure players with ECNL, and didn't do well especially at the older ages. Now many of those they did lure will be stuck playing in the RCL.  Remember in the oldest DA age group (99/00) most of the 99s will already be in college. Strong 00s will have already committed. Selling "development" works for naive parents who can bully their little kids, but HS Seniors and Junior girls are savvy and know what they want. My prediction is that ECNL will be far stronger than DA at that age group, at least until players reach that age by coming up through the system. Predictions for  (01/02)?

ForTheKids

• Joined 09/03/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2017, 01:08:40 PM »

I am curious about SU. They tried to lure players with ECNL, and didn't do well especially at the older ages. Now many of those they did lure will be stuck playing in the RCL.  Remember in the oldest DA age group (99/00) most of the 99s will already be in college. Strong 00s will have already committed. Selling "development" works for naive parents who can bully their little kids, but HS Seniors and Junior girls are savvy and know what they want. My prediction is that ECNL will be far stronger than DA at that age group, at least until players reach that age by coming up through the system. Predictions for  (01/02)?

One element that may not be clear to those not in the thick of it, the ECNL went to the birth year.  So what ECNL is stuck with is that in the final year of a youth player's career ... every year ... it will be a combined age of HS Juniors and Seniors.  ECNL teams that are mostly U18 typically have a very tiny showcase season (1 instead of 3).  So what does that mean? It means parents need to get commitments now sophomore year because junior year is a bust now since senior parents will not pay to travel around to meaningless showcases after they are all committed.  It used to be sophomore year was outlier commits, now its the norm. 

That is not good.

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2017, 01:12:41 PM »

One element that may not be clear to those not in the thick of it, the ECNL went to the birth year.  So what ECNL is stuck with is that in the final year of a youth player's career ... every year ... it will be a combined age of HS Juniors and Seniors.  ECNL teams that are mostly U18 typically have a very tiny showcase season (1 instead of 3).  So what does that mean? It means parents need to get commitments now sophomore year because junior year is a bust now since senior parents will not pay to travel around to meaningless showcases after they are all committed.  It used to be sophomore year was outlier commits, now its the norm. 

That is not good.

I think this only impacts the kids born September to December (like mine). The younger kids (Jan-Aug of the school year) will be U17 in their junior year and will do the most showcases.

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2017, 01:15:39 PM »

It's not just the parents, FTK.

Before calendar year, SU lost about 7 or 8 of their top players to Crossfire ECNL for the 01/02 team (U14 at that time). From what I can see, those players stayed at Crossfire and are currently spread over the 02 (U15) and 01 (U16) teams. If SU was able to keep their 03's this past year with the lure of ECNL then maybe they'll be OK at the older ages in a few years...

tripleplay

• Joined 17/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2017, 03:03:44 PM »

Before calendar year, SU lost about 7 or 8 of their top players to Crossfire ECNL for the 01/02 team (U14 at that time). From what I can see, those players stayed at Crossfire and are currently spread over the 02 (U15) and 01 (U16) teams. If SU was able to keep their 03's this past year with the lure of ECNL then maybe they'll be OK at the older ages in a few years...

Currently SU has ECNL teams from 99 to 03. The 03s will have their own DA team next year, so should be set. (Who knows what will happen beyond that) But I am thinking the other 4 teams will be replaced by just 2 DA teams. So that means huge rosters or lots of players being dropped to the RCL. Or do they all tryout for Crossfire's new teams? 

tripleplay

• Joined 17/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2017, 03:06:59 PM »

That is not good.

I think this only impacts the kids born September to December (like mine). The younger kids (Jan-Aug of the school year) will be U17 in their junior year and will do the most showcases.
fyi Crossfire also has a U18/U19 '98 team.

soccer45girls

• Joined 15/08/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2017, 12:45:26 PM »

Anyone else concerned that the current ECNL club member list has shrunk substantially? Did I miss something? Crossfire is not listed that I can find. I thought they would be in both ECNL and DA for next year.
"Somewhere behind the athlete you've become, and the hours of practice, and the coaches who have pushed you, is a little girl who fell in love with the game and never looked back...Play for her."  Mia Hamm

rustysurf83

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 11/06/2015
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2017, 01:37:09 PM »

That is only a preliminary list from what I've heard.  There are apparently quite a few clubs fielding ECNL teams that aren't listed.

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2017, 01:45:08 PM »

Anyone else concerned that the current ECNL club member list has shrunk substantially? Did I miss something? Crossfire is not listed that I can find. I thought they would be in both ECNL and DA for next year.

Crossfire is advertising ECNL tryouts on their website. As far as I know, the only club to leave ECNL in the NW conference is Seattle United Reign Academy.

ForTheKids

• Joined 09/03/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2017, 02:06:51 PM »

No concern on this end.  It would be a benefit if the result is people self-selected into the environment that matches their interest.  The worst case scenario is GDA drops 70 teams in and ECNL maintains 70 teams and both become massively diluted. I'd like to see ECNL shrink as GDA arrives and reach some sort of parity since they are both fishing in the same pond.

tripleplay

• Joined 17/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2017, 04:59:52 AM »

So the details of the Reign DA are out. No financial subsidy. Costs are to be lower simply because there will be fewer and closer games. Playing HS won't really be feasible because there is activity programmed for the HS season. The idea that you could drop to Academy 2 and play HS seems theoretical, and will be discouraged. On the other hand, there will only be two HS age teams, with rosters of 18. Academy 2 (not DA2) is just the A team with the twist that, instead of going to pointless but fun out-of-state tournaments, teams will drop their money on pointless but less fun out-of-state DA-organized "events".

Overall, at the HS level, SU will be dropping 4 ECNL teams, and Reign and Crossfire will be adding 2 each, so no overall expansion of "eliteness" at HS. Hard to predict what will happen, but I see DA being weak at least until the younger teams come up.

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2017, 05:43:15 AM »

ForTheKids

• Joined 09/03/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2017, 09:52:44 AM »

Another top club chooses ECNL over GDA

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0121/9517/Sting_Press_Release_ECNL.pdf

Shocked. Parents want a college-centric target versus a shot at the brass ring of a professional/USWNT slot ... whereby DD can shuttle cross continents to earn a living wage and then retire as a club DoC? This is totally shocking.  How stupid can these parents be?  US Soccer better platoon their ever burgeoning US national team staff to re-educate these clubs.

Unlucky1

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 31/01/2016
    Years
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2017, 10:10:40 PM »

So I keep hearing that practice for Reign's DA will take place 2 times per week at a Seattle location and 2 days in Preston.  Really???  This doesn't sound right to me.  A potential commute from where you live to Shoreline/Preston???

Any truth to the Reign moving things to Starfire and displacing Pac NW due to space constraints??

English1

• Joined 08/06/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2017, 10:53:08 PM »

What is the cost breakdown for the GDA?
English

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2017, 05:31:39 AM »

Thorns have published this  https://portland-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/elfinderimages/ThornsFCInformationalDocument.pdf . Timbers are trying to low-ball the ECNL clubs into submission by offering a $2000 per year deal w/ travel. However, from what I'm hearing, very few are buying...

tripleplay

• Joined 17/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2017, 09:05:28 AM »

Clubs set own fees.

For Reign,  $2350 club fees, $350 kit. Travel costs unspecified. They intend to save money by having fewer events.

As far as practice fields, no definite plan announced and they will adjust according to roster and conditions.

ForTheKids

• Joined 09/03/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2017, 09:51:22 AM »

Thorns have published this  https://portland-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/elfinderimages/ThornsFCInformationalDocument.pdf . Timbers are trying to low-ball the ECNL clubs into submission by offering a $2000 per year deal w/ travel. However, from what I'm hearing, very few are buying...

I reviewed from their document the list of DA clubs in the division. See below:

1. Burlingame Soccer Club (Cal-N)
2. California Storm (Cal-N)
3. California Thorns FC (Cal-N)
4. Crossfire Premier (WA)
5. La Roca Futbol Club (UT)
6. Lamorinda Soccer Club (Cal-N)
7. Portland Thorns FC (OR)
8. PSV Union Football Club (Cal-N)
9. San Jose Earthquakes (Cal-N)
10. Seattle Reign (WA)

I then reviewed the entire DA picture here:
http://www.ussoccerda.com/girls-academy-club-directory

In the west, looks like the GDA has secured a decent pool of clubs in SoCal, part of Texas and Colorado. Northern California and the PNW, honestly, looks like an utter train wreck (going by past experience of elite clubs playing in the ECNL) with the exception of Crossfire.  No DeAnza? No Mustangs?  No MVLA?  Are you kidding?  Total disaster.  So, effectively what people feared, splitting of the elite level, is happening.  Ridiculous.

tripleplay

• Joined 17/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2017, 01:36:07 PM »

I reviewed from their document the list of DA clubs in the division. See below:

1. Burlingame Soccer Club (Cal-N)
2. California Storm (Cal-N)
3. California Thorns FC (Cal-N)
4. Crossfire Premier (WA)
5. La Roca Futbol Club (UT)
6. Lamorinda Soccer Club (Cal-N)
7. Portland Thorns FC (OR)
8. PSV Union Football Club (Cal-N)
9. San Jose Earthquakes (Cal-N)
10. Seattle Reign (WA)

I then reviewed the entire DA picture here:
http://www.ussoccerda.com/girls-academy-club-directory

In the west, looks like the GDA has secured a decent pool of clubs in SoCal, part of Texas and Colorado. Northern California and the PNW, honestly, looks like an utter train wreck (going by past experience of elite clubs playing in the ECNL) with the exception of Crossfire.  No DeAnza? No Mustangs?  No MVLA?  Are you kidding?  Total disaster.  So, effectively what people feared, splitting of the elite level, is happening.  Ridiculous.
The other thing that is unclear is how the clubs that have both ECNL and GDA will treat the two. If players are happy with their ECNL team, are clubs going to pull a United Airlines and force kids to play GDA against their will?

English1

• Joined 08/06/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2017, 01:41:15 PM »

Interesting...well they need to do a prediction for team travel fee's because that is huge.
I was at the ECNL event in Phoenix this past weekend and we had a total of 131 College Coaches attending over three days.  I had an opportunity to chat to some of those Coaches who think it's a big mistake.  The ECNL has been a great platform for Colleges to recruit players. 
One thing I do promise you and that is that none of this is to benefit players. 
English

Dead Guy

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 28/09/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2017, 04:47:06 PM »

Let's get this straight. First off, college programs do not just focus on ECNL teams. Even without the DA college coaches scouted plenty of non ECNL players. Many players from RCL or PSPL have landed an acceptance from colleges.

Now with the DA college coaches will have another avenue to scout players as they did before.

Do you not think the college programs haven't scouted ODP players not from ECNL?  Of course they did!
“Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today."

- Edgar Allan Poe

English1

• Joined 08/06/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2017, 04:54:49 PM »

Did I say it was the only platform?  Absolutely not, I'm saying it is a good platform. The two sides should have come together to work in the best interests of children.  Instead they are acting like a couple of babies.
English

raddad

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 26/05/2014
    YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2017, 04:59:30 PM »

it makes sense. gda is strong in areas where clubs have a stronger link with the national team and many players/parents have this as their goal (rather than college).

so it will be interesting what kind of players gda will draw in the pnw and norcal. the one or three bonafide gnt level players will join, but who else?

if it's just gnt players and a bunch of roster fillers then college recruiting won't need to change much. the top 25 programs who can draw this caliber of player will scout the gnt and gnt pool events (distinct from gda) and ecnl and the rest of the colleges will continue to just scout the ecnl.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up