The Pulse of Youth Soccer in Washington State

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Any reports from the EPD tryouts this year?  (Read 5341 times)

lastplanet

• WPS-SpamKing Special Agent
  • Joined 26/04/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Any reports from the EPD tryouts this year?
« on: August 24, 2016, 06:23:48 PM »

Any reports from the EPD tryouts this year?  They'd dropped off my radar this year and I didn't realize they were last week.

http://www.washingtonyouthsoccer.org/programs/elite_player_development/20162017_selection_process/

kinznk

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 28/07/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Any reports from the EPD tryouts this year?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 08:56:09 PM »

For 2003 boys, no Crossfire kids came out. I assume it is a 'policy'.

Panna Bear

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 09/10/2015
    YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 07:06:37 AM »

http://www.washingtonyouthsoccer.org/programs/elite_player_development/20162017_state_team_pools/

Some of the state pools are there. Appears that they took picked more girls this year.
45 girls in G04, 38 in G03 for example. Normally, it was like 28-ish. Maybe 2-3 teams for friendship and 1 team for regional? They had 3 teams last year for 05.

lastplanet

• Joined 26/04/2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 07:58:05 AM »

http://www.washingtonyouthsoccer.org/programs/elite_player_development/20162017_state_team_pools/

Some of the state pools are there. Appears that they took picked more girls this year.
45 girls in G04, 38 in G03 for example. Normally, it was like 28-ish. Maybe 2-3 teams for friendship and 1 team for regional? They had 3 teams last year for 05.

No club affiliations yet.  It'll be interesting to see that.  As someone else mentioned, some clubs (Crossfire) discourage it.

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 08:23:46 AM »

No club affiliations yet.  It'll be interesting to see that.  As someone else mentioned, some clubs (Crossfire) discourage it.

Same deal in Oregon. Timbers run the ODP/RTC/Thorns Academy/DA programs and almost zero kids from non-Timbers Alliance clubs participate.

lastplanet

• Joined 26/04/2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 08:50:08 AM »

Same deal in Oregon. Timbers run the ODP/RTC/Thorns Academy/DA programs and almost zero kids from non-Timbers Alliance clubs participate.

Definitely I didn't see to many PSPL guys last year at the 2001 tryouts and not many make the pools.  But I didn't hear anything about the EPD tryouts, so maybe if your are in WYS you get emails?  Or clubs send out info to potential players?  I get loads of US Club emails, so I'm guessing WYS is sending out the same.  Anyhow it was good I'd forgotten that EPD tryouts are in August.  DS is still doing 2 club sports and trying out for anything new (even if a long shot) is unwise.  PSPL Academy serve his purpose just fine---though I like the EPD training schedule better.  It's looks like it's set weekly/bi-weekly time in a set place.

But I still like seeing who tries out for EPD in DS's age group, what clubs are participating and seeing how our WA teams do in regional and national championships. 

2Shortie

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 01/09/2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 04:30:27 PM »

Why does Crossfire discourage participation?  Are there other clubs that do that?  I am assuming that with the start of the girls DA next year there will be a drop off of some of the better players on the girls side, but I would think that girls on the lower teams at the DA clubs would still tryout.  Maybe not, though. We aren't a part of the program, but there are several girls that I know of that currently play in the ECNL and RCL D1 that no longer participate in EPD or attend tryouts. 

Turner b1kr

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 12/04/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 10:57:45 AM »

I have 2 dks at crossfire and both have several teammates participating in EPD. However, more participate in Crossfire's own ADP program. I haven't heard of any discouraging statements from my DKs coaches. And, when one of dks did PSPL Academy, there were a a few Crossfire kids.

silverdad

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/06/2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 04:32:07 PM »

I have 2 dks at crossfire and both have several teammates participating in EPD. However, more participate in Crossfire's own ADP program. I haven't heard of any discouraging statements from my DKs coaches. And, when one of dks did PSPL Academy, there were a a few Crossfire kids.

It may be different on the girls side.  On the boys' side, the Crossfire coaches told their families that they expected them to play with Crossfire instead of EPD at Friendship Cup.  So, EPD wasn't necessarily discouraged, but they were basically forbidden from representing their state at Friendship Cup, and instead were required to play with ADP.  I have a hard time rationalizing that, and also think it is deplorable that of all of the 100's of events Crossfire could take their ADP teams to, they chose an event that conflicts with and undermines the state's EPD program.

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 04:43:01 PM »

It may be different on the girls side.  On the boys' side, the Crossfire coaches told their families that they expected them to play with Crossfire instead of EPD at Friendship Cup.  So, EPD wasn't necessarily discouraged, but they were basically forbidden from representing their state at Friendship Cup, and instead were required to play with ADP.  I have a hard time rationalizing that, and also think it is deplorable that of all of the 100's of events Crossfire could take their ADP teams to, they chose an event that conflicts with and undermines the state's EPD program.

It might be deplorable but doubtful it's an accident.

stusm

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 07/09/2014
    YearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 08:52:42 AM »

Does anybody know what happened to the 04 boys? I tried to sign my DK but couldn't.  I called but I couldn't get a definitive answer. I was told something along the lines that they are going to take the 04 sounders academy to the EPD events.

Pass2Me

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 28/08/2016
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 11:56:22 AM »

Feedback I got was there is no 04 boys EPD this year because of 04 USSDA which prohibits other non academy playing activities.

stusm

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 07/09/2014
    YearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 06:49:55 PM »

Feedback I got was there is no 04 boys EPD this year because of 04 USSDA which prohibits other non academy playing activities.
That makes sense but at the same time,what happens to the kids whose clubs don't offer an Academy team? Or the kids who didn't want to play in the academy to begin? Why is WYS letting the sounders call the shots.I personally asked this to someone who works for WYS and they couldn't really answer  ::)

raddad

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 26/05/2014
    YearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 04:38:05 AM »

epd is dead folks. maybe still twitching but as good as done.

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 05:23:43 AM »

Just a matter of time before the Sounders take over WYS. Don't think it can't happen. Just look at Oregon...

Instructor32

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 09/03/2016
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 06:46:17 AM »

Funny.....in the early years of the Sounders, WYS told the Sounders how to run ODP, including what coaches to hire/fire

Pass2Me

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 28/08/2016
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 08:22:33 AM »

That makes sense but at the same time,what happens to the kids whose clubs don't offer an Academy team? Or the kids who didn't want to play in the academy to begin? Why is WYS letting the sounders call the shots.I personally asked this to someone who works for WYS and they couldn't really answer  ::)

Not sure I see it as the Sounders calling the shots as you put it although I have no knowledge of what, if any, will be their future involvement with regard to EDP. At the 04 age group the Sounders DP is an add on program, meaning players continue to train and play for their clubs. Technically, DA players shouldn't be involved in this either and I know Crossfire has discouraged participation. Bottom line is without the big club DA players the EDP talent pool is significantly smaller. No doubt there are good players not in DA teams but pretty hard for WYS to put out a so-called best in the State team when a big chunk of its best players are not involved.

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 09:36:47 AM »

Truth is that EDP/ODP has pretty much run it's course and has been replaced by other programs such as the DA and ECNL. There's only so much time and money to go around and EDP/ODP is not where the market is spending it's time or money anymore.

tripleplay

• WPS-Hall of Fame Poster
  • Joined 17/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 11:19:41 AM »

Not sure I see it as the Sounders calling the shots as you put it although I have no knowledge of what, if any, will be their future involvement with regard to EDP. At the 04 age group the Sounders DP is an add on program, meaning players continue to train and play for their clubs. Technically, DA players shouldn't be involved in this either and I know Crossfire has discouraged participation. Bottom line is without the big club DA players the EDP talent pool is significantly smaller. No doubt there are good players not in DA teams but pretty hard for WYS to put out a so-called best in the State team when a big chunk of its best players are not involved.
You have to go back 6 or so years for EPD to have had the state's best players at each age group and gender. There is really no rational reason to ask whether state x's y-year-olds are better than state z's. It's really about coach income.

rustysurf83

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 11/06/2015
    YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 09:18:27 AM »

EPD has its place; like Eastern WA.  Between Spokane, Benton, Yakima, & Grant counties, you've got a population over 1m that isn't served by ECNL or DA.

tripleplay

• Joined 17/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 10:14:12 AM »

Doing the math, the tenth best player in Washington in an age group might reach player number 5000 in the US. The MLS has 400 domestic slots. The national team, 20 or so.

Even in the old days when EPD drew the top players, it was almost entirely identifying players who didn't have any kind of professional potential. Now when it is a lesser of several competing programs, even more so. 

Not to say that it can't provide some marginal motivation, but it comes at a very high price.

Panna Bear

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 09/10/2015
    YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2016, 03:43:04 PM »

http://www.washingtonyouthsoccer.org/programs/elite_player_development/20162017_epd_pool_training_calendar/

*Due to the U12B Development Academy in the Seattle area, there is no Boys 2004 pool for WA EPD*

Hmm. Ok. Comments?

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2016, 05:57:30 PM »

http://www.washingtonyouthsoccer.org/programs/elite_player_development/20162017_epd_pool_training_calendar/

*Due to the U12B Development Academy in the Seattle area, there is no Boys 2004 pool for WA EPD*

Hmm. Ok. Comments?

Not surprising. "If" the truly best prospects at that age are in the Academies, then EPD has no purpose. They've been identified, and they are being developed. Don't know if the "If" is true but...

EWSoccer64

• Joined 07/02/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2016, 09:48:47 PM »

Doing the math, the tenth best player in Washington in an age group might reach player number 5000 in the US. The MLS has 400 domestic slots. The national team, 20 or so.

Even in the old days when EPD drew the top players, it was almost entirely identifying players who didn't have any kind of professional potential. Now when it is a lesser of several competing programs, even more so. 

Not to say that it can't provide some marginal motivation, but it comes at a very high price.

TP, Hope Solo, the best women's goalkeeper of all time, came out of the Tri-Cities, the TCYSA, and  Washington-EAST ODP.
Sort of destroys your point, eh?
(And let's just blame her penchant for making sub-optimal choices off the soccer field to her education as a Huskie, shall we?
>>grin<<<)
(I still can not figure out how to put the new emojis onto the posts....)

stusm

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 07/09/2014
    YearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2016, 10:56:22 AM »

When I asked this person why there was not an option to register for EPD for the 04 boys I was told "the sounders want us to use their academy on the trip to Phoenix"...
That's kind of calling the shots

stusm

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 07/09/2014
    YearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2016, 11:07:50 AM »

Hmm. Ok. Comments?

Not surprising. "If" the truly best prospects at that age are in the Academies, then EPD has no purpose. They've been identified, and they are being developed. Don't know if the "If" is true but...

I know of 3 boys in my DK club who were offered a spot in the club's academy but they declined because of the assistant coach,now they don't have any other options for extra/higher competition.
There are some boys from last year's EPD who play for clubs with no Academy,their parents are not very happy about the cancelation but they were told not to make any noise be caused they might get "tagged"  ::)

ForTheKids

• Joined 09/03/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2016, 11:13:25 AM »

Hmm. Ok. Comments?

I know of 3 boys in my DK club who were offered a spot in the club's academy but they declined because of the assistant coach,now they don't have any other options for extra/higher competition.
There are some boys from last year's EPD who play for clubs with no Academy,their parents are not very happy about the cancelation but they were told not to make any noise be caused they might get "tagged"  ::)

You raise a valid point.  ODP <> Academy.  Totally different commitment levels.

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2016, 12:03:24 PM »

When I asked this person why there was not an option to register for EPD for the 04 boys I was told "the sounders want us to use their academy on the trip to Phoenix"...

Just wait. Won't be long before the Sounders have taken over WYS and are running everything, and jacking up all the costs 50-100%. Don't think it can't happen? Just look 1 state to your south...

gtaker

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 14/04/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2016, 11:33:27 AM »

Just wait. Won't be long before the Sounders have taken over WYS and are running everything, and jacking up all the costs 50-100%. Don't think it can't happen? Just look 1 state to your south...

They already have

Shinkicker

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 13/08/2015
    YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2016, 04:50:05 AM »

It was an absolute joke for the 2006's.  First hour of tryouts consisted of passing drills and man-in-the-middle (how do you differentiate skill with that?).  Second hour was all scrimmage.  Teams were formed, while kids were swapping places behind the coaches backs to get on a team with their club teammates/friends.  Thereafter, there was no reshuffling of players for the entire hour (on both days).  As expected, the teams with a preponderance of club teammates passed the ball among themselves, and excelled.  Many who played by the rules (no swapping positions during team selection) got screwed.  My kid, one of the stronger players on an RCL team, got stuck on a team without any club teammates, both days.  They never passed the ball to my kid.  As you can expect, having no touches, they were cut.  The coaches were oblivious to what was going on.  Several parents commented on the unusual number of players grouped together with their club teammates during scrimmage play.

Some of the strongest players (and highest goal scorers) from our club team got cut.  Several of our weakest players made the team.  Many parents on our team were shocked by the selections.  It's unbelievable.  With the shenanigans that went on during tryouts, I have little faith in the legitimacy of WYS coaches to identify players accurately.  The process was lazy, and coaches didn't pay any attention to what was going on.

I know some of you will say it's sour grapes.  But when my child has had more goals in RCL division 1 in the past three years than the vast, vast majority of the players making the cut, I have to seriously wonder what's going on. 

Do I have to teach my child to cheat to gain advantage?  I'm not going there, regardless of what happened.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up