The Pulse of Youth Soccer in Washington State

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any reports from the EPD tryouts this year?  (Read 5340 times)

Panna Bear

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 09/10/2015
    YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Any reports from the EPD tryouts this year?
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2016, 07:37:27 AM »

It was an absolute joke for the 2006's.  First hour of tryouts consisted of passing drills and man-in-the-middle (how do you differentiate skill with that?).  Second hour was all scrimmage.  Teams were formed, while kids were swapping places behind the coaches backs to get on a team with their club teammates/friends.  Thereafter, there was no reshuffling of players for the entire hour (on both days).  As expected, the teams with a preponderance of club teammates passed the ball among themselves, and excelled.  Many who played by the rules (no swapping positions during team selection) got screwed.  My kid, one of the stronger players on an RCL team, got stuck on a team without any club teammates, both days.  They never passed the ball to my kid.  As you can expect, having no touches, they were cut.  The coaches were oblivious to what was going on.  Several parents commented on the unusual number of players grouped together with their club teammates during scrimmage play.

Some of the strongest players (and highest goal scorers) from our club team got cut.  Several of our weakest players made the team.  Many parents on our team were shocked by the selections.  It's unbelievable.  With the shenanigans that went on during tryouts, I have little faith in the legitimacy of WYS coaches to identify players accurately.  The process was lazy, and coaches didn't pay any attention to what was going on.

I know some of you will say it's sour grapes.  But when my child has had more goals in RCL division 1 in the past three years than the vast, vast majority of the players making the cut, I have to seriously wonder what's going on. 

Do I have to teach my child to cheat to gain advantage?  I'm not going there, regardless of what happened.

Taking a step back, these are 9-10 year old little kids. Did the coaches say do not switch
teams or we consider that cheating? Or, could it be like most kids want to play with their friends and move around? Something to think about is what could have your kid done
besides switching teams to overcome this problem.

For my kid, there were four days of tryouts: 2 for callbacks and 2 for pool.
My dk was on a team where didn't know anyone. They didn't pass the ball.
To solve the problem, my dk attacked and attacked and attacked to get the ball and to pass, dribble, and shoot. Proved to the team that I will pass to you and help you, so we can win.
Got plenty of touches, goals, and made new teammates for other days.
Get the RCL club mentality out of your head. Weakens the knees.

Some food for thought: About 40% of the kids from last year's pool didn't make this year's
pool. So, there were about 40% new kids in the pool this year. Setbacks suck, but depends
on how your kid reacts to it. Try to improve for next year or if he gets your vibe, that ain't good.

ForTheKids

• WPS-SpamKing Special Agent
  • Joined 09/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Any reports from the EPD tryouts this year?
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2016, 09:21:30 AM »

Learn from the adversity. This happens every year.  As noted above, one lesson yo learn in these tryouts is to find a way to get on the balk a lot.  Dig it out if need be. It's the way these things work.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up