The Pulse of Youth Soccer in Washington State

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weather/RCL games Cancelled  (Read 3049 times)

BaseballDad95

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 24/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Weather/RCL games Cancelled
« on: October 15, 2016, 08:29:57 PM »

Why is it that Pac NW is the only one that has put out an email about games being cancelled on Sunday, not just Saturday?

Instructor32

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 09/03/2016
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Weather/RCL games Cancelled
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 08:47:30 PM »

I saw multiple announcements from clubs (in addition to PacNW) and WYS

justadad

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 30/11/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 08:51:53 PM »

They aren't.  Our club sent out email to all members last night at around 7:00 pm.   Would imagine same at other clubs.

BaseballDad95

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 24/04/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 10:11:26 PM »

I am confused.  The one last night said games are cancelled for Saturday.  What about Sunday?

silverdad

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/06/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 10:56:42 PM »

I understand the notion of playing it safe, but frankly I would have preferred a message from the league administrator to everyone stating "please stand ready to play on Sunday, but we will make a call early Sunday morning as to whether games are on/off.  To account for the possibility of a power outage, if you do not hear from us the games are off.  Teams could use a phone chain/text to communicate.

Sure enough, another case of mass hysteria over the weather drummed up by our local media.  I am OK with a youth soccer game being cancelled, but the challenge is that these games now have to be rescheduled into an already over-crowded schedule. 

Our club cancelled practices on Thursday when the weather was barely a drizzle with no wind.  Coerver was canceled today when the conditions today were better than they were last weekend.  Plus, our game tomorrow is cancelled and must be rescheduled.  Obviously, this went far beyond soccer - major school events were cancelled tonight (homecoming dances, etc.).  Feels like the entire region was basically shut down over what amounted to .... some rain.

lastplanet

• WPS-SpamKing Special Agent
  • Joined 26/04/2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 11:18:17 PM »

I'm with silverdad.  A 'stand by' and we'll update Saturday night would have been more appropriate.  There was no reason to cancel Sunday games on Friday.   Thankfully, our club didn't cancel its games.  We communicated with opponents and based decisions on real-time weather, which was already looking less ominous by late Friday.  But some of the clubs we play did mandate 'no travel' for all their teams for the whole weekend which meant wholesale game cancellations.  Now all of us will be trying to get fields on the few remaining free weekends.  Fun times.

skagitcoach

• Joined 19/06/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 10:51:34 AM »

ure enough, another case of mass hysteria over the weather drummed up by our local media.  I am OK with a youth soccer game being cancelled, but the challenge is that these games now have to be rescheduled into an already over-crowded schedule. 
This was not mass hysteria drummed up by the media. News organizations did not make up the information provided by the National Weather Service, and the news media does not issue weather advisories/watches/warnings; those are issued by NOAA and the NWS. The NWS had legitimate concerns -- the potential WAS there for a major/catastrophic wind event. The trouble with predicting storm paths is that there is a margin for error. Had the low pressure center of Saturday's storm, which was the remnant of a major typhoon, turned more inland and followed the I-5 corridor north instead of staying off shore and heading north over Vancouver Island, there was potential for major damage.

That being said, i wish my club/RCL had also done the standby thing for Saturday's matches on Friday instead of Thursday. And likewise for Sunday's matches!

bubbasaurus

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 16/05/2014
    YearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 10:56:45 AM »

Now you're either stuck with Saturday/Sunday games in the same weekend, or you're playing games in December, when the weather is going to be so much better than yesterday. Our game 3 weeks ago was played in much windier conditions compared to yesterday. And it was wetter during the day last Saturday.

I can understand it if you have teams coming in from across the state, but when you're cancelling games because teams don't want to travel 30-45 minutes guessing what the weather is going to be like 24-48 hours ahead, it's really silly. And the predictions all along were that the big storm wasn't going to hit until Saturday night. It came in a few hours earlier, but pretty much all of the games would have been played by then.

SillyWho

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 10/09/2014
    YearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 12:07:57 PM »

And the very first time they do not cancel after getting National Weather Service information, and teams are forced to forfeit, the same parents will be out enforce outrageous that they were expected to play these same games. Seems like a no win situation to me. Our games were cancelled, seemed a bit of an underwhelming "storm" to say the least. Not sure about you big RCL clubs, but my small PSPL doesn't have an on call meteorologist to confirm the NWS information.

Instructor32

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 09/03/2016
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 12:13:51 PM »

So sometime this week, do something nice for your field schedulers.....or at least say "thank you" for their efforts.

pnwfan

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 18/08/2015
    YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 11:16:29 PM »

Hindsight is always 20/20.   ::)

EWSoccer64

• WPS-Hall of Fame Poster
  • Joined 07/02/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 12:21:07 AM »

Did you not hear?   Global Warming is causing extreme weather outbreaks, and everyone needs to be very careful and very inconvenienced about them.   That is why the weather services make a big hulluballoo about them and the media passes them on.   

What is really serious, is that when there is an actual emergency weather situation, less people will take warning because of all the crying wolf by the weather services.

Squash

• Administrator
  • Soccer Soldier
  • Joined 01/09/2005
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • WPS-Soccer...The Pulse
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 05:16:45 AM »

Did you not hear?   Global Warming is causing extreme weather outbreaks, and everyone needs to be very careful and very inconvenienced about them.   That is why the weather services make a big hulluballoo about them and the media passes them on.   

What is really serious, is that when there is an actual emergency weather situation, less people will take warning because of all the crying wolf by the weather services.

People are getting soft.....their children are getting softer....

A little rain and wind could melt them...

Lets be serious people, there are typical no trees around fields to fall on you...what's left is rain and wind....

Again..... "a little rain and wind could melt them"

Poor little Biff and Buffy would have been fine.......  :evil:

soccerkicks

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 23/03/2015
    YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 09:04:01 AM »

Lets be serious people, there are typical no trees around fields to fall on you...what's left is rain and wind....

I don't think it was just the games itself they were worried about, it was also the travel to said games.  Again hindsight is always 20/20

NKSoccerFan

• Joined 14/04/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 10:03:58 AM »

And sometimes it is the field owner closing the field.

The rain alone was enough to make all the grass fields unplayable, and I saw some pretty good standing water on the turf fields.

:drinks:

metz123

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 29/04/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 01:02:09 PM »

I guess you've never seen the results of overhead lights falling to the ground? It's more than just trees up there combatting gravity. I'll take the side of caution, thanks. We closed our grass facility Friday afternoon due to standing water, an already saturated playing surface and more rain coming. The fields simply weren't playable. The games scheduled for turf were all put onto a wait and see strategy with encouragement to work with opponents to try and understand travel issues.

NWS does a good job trying to frame any weather issues with probabilities and an explanation of their model. Unfortunately during the translation into media speak all nuances are lost and the media runs with the armageddon story line in search of clicks, views, likes and general publicity. 

ForTheKids

• Joined 09/03/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 01:34:56 PM »

In the grand scheme, no big loss.  Families saved gas, re-introduced themselves to soccer free weekend.  Now if RCL nixes those games to avoid crazy play coming up, that would be nice. Ain't gonna happen.

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 01:58:54 PM »

Why cancel games? Isn't fall only 14 games total? Oregon runs a 14 game schedule from early September to the 1st week of November. Sounds like RCL has an additional 4-5 weeks so there shouldn't be "fixture congestion".

lastplanet

• Joined 26/04/2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2016, 02:29:38 PM »

I don't think it's good, but my kids have played many a rec game where they were sinking up to their ankles into the field and the goal area being a huge mud pit.   I don't recall a game being cancelled for rain and soggy fields before.  If Seattle did that, there'd be no City Tournament.  Unbelieveable some of the rain, my kids have played in and I have refereed in for that.

Re the predicted wind storm, given the forecast, caution was warranted.  But cancelling Saturday (under an abundance of caution so no one was on the road) and putting Sunday on standby seems like that would have been plenty.  No reason to cancel Sunday, when the storm was supposed to hit Saturday afternoon and it was entirely possible that nothing more than a normal Oct/Nov storm would materialize.

BothellSoccerDad

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 06/05/2015
    YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2016, 04:42:36 PM »

I guess you've never seen the results of overhead lights falling to the ground? It's more than just trees up there combatting gravity. I'll take the side of caution, thanks. We closed our grass facility Friday afternoon due to standing water, an already saturated playing surface and more rain coming. The fields simply weren't playable. The games scheduled for turf were all put onto a wait and see strategy with encouragement to work with opponents to try and understand travel issues.

NWS does a good job trying to frame any weather issues with probabilities and an explanation of their model. Unfortunately during the translation into media speak all nuances are lost and the media runs with the armageddon story line in search of clicks, views, likes and general publicity.
It is definitely not just trees, a few years ago at one of my DD's games the wind was not as bad as predicted this last weekend but a goal was still blown over and landed on our goalie. Thankfully she was not seriously hurt but she was out for a couple of weeks.

As far as being on hold for Sunday, what would have happened with a power outage that potentially would last more than a day? How would you know who did and did not get word if the games were canceled or not? that last big wind storm knocked over trees around my house that blocked me from leaving the house until the trees were removed. I think the responsible and responsible thing was to act on the information available when thinking through all scenarios.

Squash

• Administrator
  • Soccer Soldier
  • Joined 01/09/2005
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • WPS-Soccer...The Pulse
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2016, 05:22:59 PM »

I still hear a lot of people wearing dresses talking.

I know what I'm saying may offend some people but I played as a kid and coached in a lot of shitty weather....way worse than this storm was going to bring. Even if it had hit they were only predicting winds in the 30-40's. The media treated it like it was the remnants of a typhoon which is ridiculous.

Soccer games don't typically get cancelled not even for snow....so suck it up yuppies.

You know how I know soccer has become an expensive sport? No one wants to play in the wind and rain.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

dkbrandi87

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 09/02/2016
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 09:28:18 AM »

I know what I'm saying may offend some people but I played as a kid and coached in a lot of shitty weather....way worse than this storm was going to bring. Even if it had hit they were only predicting winds in the 30-40's. The media treated it like it was the remnants of a typhoon which is ridiculous.

Soccer games don't typically get cancelled not even for snow....so suck it up yuppies.

You know how I know soccer has become an expensive sport? No one wants to play in the wind and rain.

You sound like me talking to my kids.

Kids: "It's so wet and cold outside -- they should cancel the game."
Me: "Suck it up you wuss.  We don't cancel soccer for a little rain and wind.  Back in my day . . . "

But seriously, we played in Blue Mountain Exchange a few years ago.  It was wet and crazy windy all weekend.  Sunday both teams played in wind / rain / snow and finally, in freezing rain.  I'm fairly certain that freezing rain is the worst condition you can play in . . .

metz123

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 29/04/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 11:22:22 AM »

You sound like me talking to my kids.

Kids: "It's so wet and cold outside -- they should cancel the game."
Me: "Suck it up you wuss.  We don't cancel soccer for a little rain and wind.  Back in my day . . . "

But seriously, we played in Blue Mountain Exchange a few years ago.  It was wet and crazy windy all weekend.  Sunday both teams played in wind / rain / snow and finally, in freezing rain.  I'm fairly certain that freezing rain is the worst condition you can play in . . .

Freezing rain...forever known around my house as the "pasco fiasco". Founders Cup quarter final game in Pasco years ago. The team rented a bus so no one was asked to drive across the pass on what was predicted to be a very cold day. The plan was up and back in a day. Bus left the west side at 6am, made it to the fields with an hour to spare before warm ups. It was about 25 degrees. The bus driver kicked us all off because he had to go eat lunch (not a nice guy), so we spent 2 hours before the game huddled up on the most wind swept frozen field in existence (yeah, you know where).

Game time and the freezing rain hits. Everyone is just miserable playing on a frozen grass field in a freezing rain. So, of course, the game goes into overtime and KFTM. Game finishes, we win (hooray), and everyone jumps back onto the bus. Start heading back to the west side. Incredibly frozen roads, we saw 2 industrial highway snowplows off the road, one on it's side. Then the defroster on the bus breaks and we had adults up front trying to wipe the condensation from the inside of the windshield. After 30 minutes of slip sliding down the road, we convinced the bus driver that it simply wasn't safe to continue with a broken bus and current conditions. Pulled off into a random hotel in Yakima where the staff couldn't have been nicer setting us up for the night, providing toothbrushes and access to food.

Next day and new bus comes with a new driver and we finally complete the journey home.

The Pasco Fiasco is the primary reason why I don't mind games getting cancelled during inclement weather. They can be made up.

Oneblindmouse

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 01/10/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2016, 04:23:48 PM »

Freezing rain...forever known around my house as the "pasco fiasco". Founders Cup quarter final game in Pasco years ago. The team rented a bus so no one was asked to drive across the pass on what was predicted to be a very cold day. The plan was up and back in a day. Bus left the west side at 6am, made it to the fields with an hour to spare before warm ups. It was about 25 degrees. The bus driver kicked us all off because he had to go eat lunch (not a nice guy), so we spent 2 hours before the game huddled up on the most wind swept frozen field in existence (yeah, you know where).

Game time and the freezing rain hits. Everyone is just miserable playing on a frozen grass field in a freezing rain. So, of course, the game goes into overtime and KFTM. Game finishes, we win (hooray), and everyone jumps back onto the bus. Start heading back to the west side. Incredibly frozen roads, we saw 2 industrial highway snowplows off the road, one on it's side. Then the defroster on the bus breaks and we had adults up front trying to wipe the condensation from the inside of the windshield. After 30 minutes of slip sliding down the road, we convinced the bus driver that it simply wasn't safe to continue with a broken bus and current conditions. Pulled off into a random hotel in Yakima where the staff couldn't have been nicer setting us up for the night, providing toothbrushes and access to food.

Next day and new bus comes with a new driver and we finally complete the journey home.

The Pasco Fiasco is the primary reason why I don't mind games getting cancelled during inclement weather. They can be made up.

Sounds like a great bonding experience.....for the DK's  :evil:
"In the opinion of the referee"....such a short phrase....wait!  whaddya mean it doesn't say that anymore!!!

skagitcoach

• Joined 19/06/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2016, 09:59:38 AM »

My significant other is from England. She said her field hockey coach's favorite expression when the weather turned inclement was "suck it up, cupcake."  :angel:

ForTheKids

• Joined 09/03/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2016, 10:42:53 AM »

There was a young soccer player killed in a car accident returning to eastern WA (last year?) after games in W. WA.  Weather was not to blame but I can appreciate when administrators see this stuff that they think twice about sending teams on the roads.  I won't fault them.

rustysurf83

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 11/06/2015
    YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2016, 06:51:07 PM »

There was a young soccer player killed in a car accident returning to eastern WA (last year?) after games in W. WA.  Weather was not to blame but I can appreciate when administrators see this stuff that they think twice about sending teams on the roads.  I won't fault them.

2014 coming back from Yakima.  http://www.playforgraciefoundation.org/
Pages: [1]   Go Up