The Pulse of Youth Soccer in Washington State

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Club Soccer True Cost Calculator  (Read 2448 times)

BCInfo

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 03/05/2016
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
Club Soccer True Cost Calculator
« on: November 29, 2016, 06:50:10 AM »

We have created a new calculator that helps parents estimate the "true" cost of club soccer. In addition to mileage/travel costs, the calculator also takes into account the value of your time. Once you see the true cost, you'll better understand why some parents take youth soccer just a tad bit too seriously.

One more thing. The calculator will also show you how much you would save if you had invested five years worth of soccer spending in a college savings account. We make no money off of this--we're just trying to help educate soccer parents.

http://brilliantclubs.com/blog/club-...-calculator-2/

dkbrandi87

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 09/02/2016
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Club Soccer True Cost Calculator
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 10:32:52 AM »

This is quite interesting to me . . .

I've talked with other parents and club administrators about how much we really spend on soccer each year.  Here are my results from your calculator (for one child -- we have two playing).
Registration (Payment to Club) - $425
Uniform Fees - $150
Other Equipment - $200
Private Lessons - $0
Practices Per Week - 2 (sometimes 3)
Local Tournaments Per Year - 1 (maybe)
Out of Town Tournaments Per Year - 2 (or more)
Family Annual Income - ~$110,000

Results:
Travel Costs: $2,140.60
Value of Your Time: $5,885
Total Annual Cost of Soccer: $8,800.60
--------------------------------------------------------------
The large portion of that is being compensated for my "time".  However, it is unlikely that I would spend (all of) the time traveling and watching the kids play in a way that would provide value to me (i.e. working to make money), so I feel that is a bit inflated.  Sure, I take some vacation days here and there for tournaments and matches, but rarely do I "lose" time.

So . . . my "out of pocket" cost for both kids to play is ~$4,400/year.  Factor in fundraisers (which covered all of our registration costs this year) and that number is reduced $850.  Between a tournament in Portland, and one in Seattle, plus league matches that were 3 to 4 hours away, that number is probably back to ~$4,000.  So, there's that, for whatever it's worth (for discussion's sake, I guess?)

raddad

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 26/05/2014
    YearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 03:28:26 PM »

your club is very reasonable.. club fees alone are $2000+ per year in any big/rcl club

This is quite interesting to me . . .

I've talked with other parents and club administrators about how much we really spend on soccer each year.  Here are my results from your calculator (for one child -- we have two playing).
Registration (Payment to Club) - $425

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 04:05:28 PM by raddad »

tripleplay

• WPS-Hall of Fame Poster
  • Joined 17/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 05:58:54 PM »

One idea that the calculator reinforces (though I believe it over counts the time cost) is that there isn't much to be gained by lowering the club cost. Cut the club fee by 10% and you cut the total cost by 2% e.g. If you really want to lower total costs, the discussion has to be centered around travel. Coaches, coaching directors et al just are not what drove the cost up. It's the never-ending and pointless trips to some unimportant competition that the bureaucrats have dreamt up that really hurt the players.

plentyofgames

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 06/01/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 09:32:57 AM »

One idea that the calculator reinforces (though I believe it over counts the time cost) is that there isn't much to be gained by lowering the club cost. Cut the club fee by 10% and you cut the total cost by 2% e.g. If you really want to lower total costs, the discussion has to be centered around travel. Coaches, coaching directors et al just are not what drove the cost up. It's the never-ending and pointless trips to some unimportant competition that the bureaucrats have dreamt up that really hurt the players.

The clubs make money off of that too. Consider how many tournaments require teams to use certain "travel partners" as a condition of participation. There's a reason they refer to them as partners.

HockeyDad

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 14/03/2014
    YearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 12:37:05 PM »

The clubs make money off of that too. Consider how many tournaments require teams to use certain "travel partners" as a condition of participation. There's a reason they refer to them as partners.

And don't forget the "tournament fees" collected through clubs hosting their own tournaments.

dkbrandi87

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 09/02/2016
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 04:11:13 PM »

your club is very reasonable.. club fees alone are $2000+ per year in any big/rcl club

My club is relatively small (~250 kids) and new (formed via a merger of 3 clubs last spring).

We are the "low-cost" provider, if you will, in North Idaho.  The nearest club charges ~$100 more for registration (with an additional $100 for "A-Team" players).  If we ventured into Spokane, the Foxes and Shadow (Sounders now) are over the $1,000 mark.

It's become quite obvious as the kids have grown older that travel is THE largest expense.  Add in the fact that we are in North Idaho and quality tournaments are all 5+ hours away (Seattle is 5, Portland 6.5, Boise 8), and the travel costs really stand out.  Shoot, as I noted before, we had league games in Yakima and Wenatchee this past fall.  Part of that was our own "choosing" (we chose to play in the PSPL SuperLeague __ - East).  Admittedly, we didn't (still don't) consider Yakima to be "Eastern Washington", but by the time they announced league placement, it was too late to try and switch (plus both teams dominated the "top" local league the prior season . . . ).

SoccerOffice

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 09/12/2016
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 10:22:51 AM »

An alternate way to calculate the value of your time can be found at Independent Sector, https://www.independentsector.org/volunteer_time. The organization calculates the value of an hour of volunteer time state-by-state, as well as on a national level each year. In 2015, the national value was $23.56/hour, and the value for Washington state was $28.99 (one of the highest in the country).

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 11:59:53 AM »

Unless you were truly going to be doing something in your leisure time to generate income, your time has no monetary value.

tripleplay

• Joined 17/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 12:32:22 PM »

Unless you were truly going to be doing something in your leisure time to generate income, your time has no monetary value.
Uhh, no. (But I do think the posts in this thread are overvaluing it, rather substantially)

lastplanet

• WPS-SpamKing Special Agent
  • Joined 26/04/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 07:24:37 PM »

Agreed.  You'd be spending your time in some other leisure way---and that leisure activity would have costs that might be more than sitting on a soccer sideline.  Downhill skiing for example.  Those of you who are skiers, think of the vast $$$ you are saving by not skiing much, if at all, any more.  Ok, maybe don't think about that...

But travel, that adds up FAST.  I was thinking about that as I entered a bunch of Thanksgiving out of state tournaments...

tripleplay

• Joined 17/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 10:30:49 PM »

An alternate way to calculate the value of your time can be found at Independent Sector, https://www.independentsector.org/volunteer_time. The organization calculates the value of an hour of volunteer time state-by-state, as well as on a national level each year. In 2015, the national value was $23.56/hour, and the value for Washington state was $28.99 (one of the highest in the country).
This has nothing to do with the value of leisure time. This calculation is based on the assumption that volunteer work would cost as much to replace as the average production worker would earn. I am not sure how that is substantiated- it seems rather implausible to me that people are just as productive when volunteering as they are in paid employment.

The position that leisure time has zero value is ridiculous. If that were true, everyone would work all the time. Few do.

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 10:50:52 AM »

This has nothing to do with the value of leisure time. This calculation is based on the assumption that volunteer work would cost as much to replace as the average production worker would earn. I am not sure how that is substantiated- it seems rather implausible to me that people are just as productive when volunteering as they are in paid employment.

The position that leisure time has zero value is ridiculous. If that were true, everyone would work all the time. Few do.

Didn't say leisure time had zero value, just that it doesn't have any monetary value.

metz123

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 29/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 11:52:42 AM »

It does, depending on the activity in question. If I spend my leisure time building a deck on my house, I don't have to pay someone else to do it. That leisure time has monetary value.

If I spend it watching the Seahawks play like crap against the Packers, that time has no monetary value.

tripleplay

• Joined 17/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 12:35:39 PM »

Didn't say leisure time had zero value, just that it doesn't have any monetary value.
Sure it does. You would give it up if someone gave you enough money. If you could give someone money to get more leisure, there is a price that you would. It will be different for every person and may be different for different types of leisure, but in general leisure has a monetary value. It may not be simple to determine, but it is definitely not zero.

The initial calculator, by the way, equates the value to the average amount you would earn working. That's an oversimplification, which overvalues it rather substantially. But in today's labor market almost anyone could take an extra job at minimum wage. So the net return of such a job is surely the lower bound of the value of leisure.

tripleplay

• Joined 17/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2016, 12:44:33 PM »

It does, depending on the activity in question. If I spend my leisure time building a deck on my house, I don't have to pay someone else to do it. That leisure time has monetary value.

If I spend it watching the Seahawks play like crap against the Packers, that time has no monetary value.
Paying someone to build your deck (so that you can watch football) can be thought of as buying leisure. If you pay for it, it has monetary value. And sometimes we make purchases that we regret.

Instructor32

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 09/03/2016
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016, 02:17:38 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up