The Pulse of Youth Soccer in Washington State

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on Regionals @ 60acres?¿?¿?  (Read 5280 times)

Squash

• Administrator
  • WPS-Hall of Fame Poster
  • Soccer Soldier
  • Joined 01/09/2005
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • WPS-Soccer...The Pulse
Thoughts on Regionals @ 60acres?¿?¿?
« on: March 05, 2017, 08:52:58 AM »

Beautiful complex overall and should make a great location for Regionals.

I feel bad for them right now because of the weather and so much rain, the fields have standing water in places and have for weeks. I know all of that can change and dry up quickly. It also gives them a leg up on leveling a little, aerating, re-seeding areas.

The positives I've seen is the upper hill area......... getting nice wood fencing and graveled roads/paths and changed for better and more distinct parking path ways.

I plan on trying to take days off of work when Regionals comes around and watch a lot of games.

Just curious if others are excited to have Regionals in our own back yard...... I know we have had ENCL tournament here, but Regionals is a much larger scale and dynamic beast. My hope is it goes smoothly for the state / LWYSA / and the Crossfire people.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:10:23 AM by Squash »

ForTheKids

• WPS-SpamKing Special Agent
  • Joined 09/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Regionals @ 60acres?¿?¿?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 10:06:21 AM »

Interesting post.

With the rise of all the interstate leagues anymore, I think the sense is becoming that regionals are a bit like ODP regionals. Interesting for sure, but fading in relevance.   If you ask many of the players in premier ... soon to become elite (The ever-growing DA, GDA, ECNL, etc) ... they will give a big meh.  This will become a more common response now that these interstate leagues are starting at the U13 and up ages.

And I think that is unfortunate.

Squash

• Administrator
  • Soccer Soldier
  • Joined 01/09/2005
    • View Profile
    • WPS-Soccer...The Pulse
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 11:48:01 AM »

Interesting post.

With the rise of all the interstate leagues anymore, I think the sense is becoming that regionals are a bit like ODP regionals. Interesting for sure, but fading in relevance.   If you ask many of the players in premier ... soon to become elite (The ever-growing DA, GDA, ECNL, etc) ... they will give a big meh.  This will become a more common response now that these interstate leagues are starting at the U13 and up ages.

And I think that is unfortunate.

Agreed that it's not the same Prestige......blame that on the greed of clubs and every changing money grab.

However the scale and organizing it takes is on a huge scale because teams although maybe not the top of the top at older ages will be coming, the need for hotels, fields to play on, and all the things past Regionals needed.

Turner b1kr

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 12/04/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 02:22:13 PM »

Well, I think its still a bit early to determine how the fields in late June will be playing. At that time of the year, I've seen the fields in wide of range of conditions, muddy, bone dry, perfect. You just never know. But, it stills a huge organizational event.

FTKs point is well taken. Regionals are just not the same. Same for state cups from u14 up, and soon that will be u12 up, since the Academy teams will not play in state  cups. US Soccer has taken over. - promo/rel is a thing of a bygone era, same for rcl div 1, state cups, regionals, national league, ODP, etc.

Squash

• Administrator
  • Soccer Soldier
  • Joined 01/09/2005
    • View Profile
    • WPS-Soccer...The Pulse
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 02:51:30 PM »

Well, I think its still a bit early to determine how the fields in late June will be playing. At that time of the year, I've seen the fields in wide of range of conditions, muddy, bone dry, perfect. You just never know. But, it stills a huge organizational event.

FTKs point is well taken. Regionals are just not the same. Same for state cups from u14 up, and soon that will be u12 up, since the Academy teams will not play in state  cups. US Soccer has taken over. - promo/rel is a thing of a bygone era, same for rcl div 1, state cups, regionals, national league, ODP, etc.

Yes obviously it has become a money grab................... everyone can now pay money, get a nice uniform, and trophy

dkbrandi87

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 09/02/2016
    Years
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 08:59:13 AM »

EDIT: I should note that you're likely referring to US Youth Regionals, since US Club Regionals are in Yakima this year.  Nonetheless, I assume my experiences pertain to either regional.
-------------------------------------------
My son's team has attended US Club Regionals for the past (3) years (Seattle, Tri-Cities, Seattle) . . .

We were mostly impressed in the first year because: they were 11; we faced teams we had not seen before; and it was the largest tournament (outside of Wa. Cup) they'd attended. 
The second year we were unimpressed.  Aside from the location and heat (not their fault, obviously), we didn't face any teams we weren't familiar with.
Last year was okay.  Our team is still a mixed 02/03 team, and the teams we played were from larger clubs who fielded true 02 teams.  One was a local club, but with the age change was a different team than we'd played before.  The other two matches provided teams were we'd never played, which is a large reason for why we've played at Regionals.

With those ideas in mind, my son's team is NOT doing regionals this year.  We will play in Idaho State Cup, where we are likely to see 2-3 teams we've never played before (we see teams from Seattle WAY more than teams from Boise).  Other large tournaments (Lake Oswego & Crossfire's tournament) provide good competition against new teams as well. 

If you combine those two things with the fact that these boys are decent, but not going to compete at a "national" tournament, participating in a "regional" doesn't make much sense.

dkbrandi87

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 09/02/2016
    Years
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 08:40:54 AM »

EDIT: I should note that you're likely referring to US Youth Regionals, since US Club Regionals are in Yakima this year.  Nonetheless, I assume my experiences pertain to either regional.
My son's team has attended US Club Regionals for the past (3) years (Seattle, Tri-Cities, Seattle) . . .

We were mostly impressed in the first year because: they were 11; we faced teams we had not seen before; and it was the largest tournament (outside of Wa. Cup) they'd attended. 
The second year we were unimpressed.  Aside from the location and heat (not their fault, obviously), we didn't face any teams we weren't familiar with.
Last year was okay.  Our team is still a mixed 02/03 team, and the teams we played were from larger clubs who fielded true 02 teams.  One was a local club, but with the age change was a different team than we'd played before.  The other two matches provided teams were we'd never played, which is a large reason for why we've played at Regionals.

With those ideas in mind, my son's team is NOT doing regionals this year.  We will play in Idaho State Cup, where we are likely to see 2-3 teams we've never played before (we see teams from Seattle WAY more than teams from Boise).  Other large tournaments (Lake Oswego & Crossfire's tournament) provide good competition against new teams as well. 

If you combine those two things with the fact that these boys are decent, but not going to compete at a "national" tournament, participating in a "regional" doesn't make much sense.

I should also note that if by some chance either of my kids' teams wins State Cup, they WILL play in Regionals (since that's your prize for winning your state cup).

Squash

• Administrator
  • Soccer Soldier
  • Joined 01/09/2005
    • View Profile
    • WPS-Soccer...The Pulse
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 05:23:02 AM »

I should also note that if by some chance either of my kids' teams wins State Cup, they WILL play in Regionals (since that's your prize for winning your state cup).

Plus the cost will be low for Wa. teams........it's here. There is no reason not to go........

dkbrandi87

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 09/02/2016
    Years
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 11:20:59 AM »

Plus the cost will be low for Wa. teams........it's here. There is no reason not to go........

For Seattle-area teams that's true.  That's not really the case for my kids, since we're in North Idaho.  Removing the registration fee only saves us $53/player.  Still have to pay for gas and hotel for ourselves and the coach . . .

Squash

• Administrator
  • Soccer Soldier
  • Joined 01/09/2005
    • View Profile
    • WPS-Soccer...The Pulse
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 12:54:51 PM »

Just drove by Swampy Acres............ the old side has a pond on about 4-5 fields, the ducks and geese are loving it.

I even saw a few Herron out there.

Nothing like more rain, maybe we can cover 8-10 fields

NKSoccerFan

• Joined 14/04/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 01:35:43 PM »

Just drove by Swampy Acres............ the old side has a pond on about 4-5 fields, the ducks and geese are loving it.

I even saw a few Herron out there.

Nothing like more rain, maybe we can cover 8-10 fields

Soccer balls float so no worries.
 ;)

DirtDigger

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 08/03/2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 01:57:07 PM »

Well, hopefully these tournaments at 60 acres bring in close to the same amount of $$ to the community as does Surf Cup - $139 million.

http://goalnation.com/san-diego-loves-surf-cup-sports-139-million/

Squash

• Administrator
  • Soccer Soldier
  • Joined 01/09/2005
    • View Profile
    • WPS-Soccer...The Pulse
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 02:24:08 PM »

Well, hopefully these tournaments at 60 acres bring in close to the same amount of $$ to the community as does Surf Cup - $139 million.

http://goalnation.com/san-diego-loves-surf-cup-sports-139-million/

They can only hope.......... there is no doubt regionals will bring and influx of money for hotels, food, rental cars/vans, and other $$$ spent on entertainment. That guy wit the christmas tree lot across the slough needs to open up and offer discounted parking, make a little americana cash ......  :laugh:

schrob

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 15/02/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 12:23:53 PM »

Don't forget Region IV President's Cup was at Stocker Fields (known for major winter flooding) only two years ago.  The fields were in pretty good shape by the time the tournament came around.  But that all depends on the weather the 1~2 weeks before the tournament starts.

Lots of teams in attendance there too filling local hotels and restaurants putting $$ into the local merchants pockets too.

If I remember correctly, I believe Region IV was impressed with the Snohomish facility.

Squash

• Administrator
  • Soccer Soldier
  • Joined 01/09/2005
    • View Profile
    • WPS-Soccer...The Pulse
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 07:05:42 PM »

The fields on 60 acres north were so wet this spring, they are having to sod, a huge section to prep it for regionals. The past few days they have been scraping and laying sod.

I give them props though for fixing major issues. I'd only say they probably should have started a few weeks ago.

lester

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 14/12/2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 10:05:25 PM »

The fields on 60 acres north were so wet this spring, they are having to sod, a huge section to prep it for regionals. The past few days they have been scraping and laying sod.

I give them props though for fixing major issues. I'd only say they probably should have started a few weeks ago.

Isn't Greg Ion's College Showcase of Champions out there next weekend?

English1

• Joined 08/06/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 10:52:35 PM »

Hey in comparison to other years, you can't beat the price. Hawaii was great but very spendy, Boise is hot as Fire, New Mexico is on a hill and Hot as heck. I'll take local and day of the week!!
English

metz123

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 29/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 01:17:56 PM »

We would have if the fields were dry enough to support the equipment required to lay the sod. The college camps won't be using the newly sodded fields.

Squash

• Administrator
  • Soccer Soldier
  • Joined 01/09/2005
    • View Profile
    • WPS-Soccer...The Pulse
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 07:31:21 PM »

We would have if the fields were dry enough to support the equipment required to lay the sod. The college camps won't be using the newly sodded fields.

Makes sense.......

justadad

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 30/11/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 03:36:02 PM »

Boy was the grass long and the ground soft this last weekend.  It could have happened anywhere but as I am getting ready to head to an appointment for an MRI on my sons knee I can't help but think the field conditions played a part.   Incredibly bad luck for him as his team is headed to SLC next week.  >:(

Shaved Ice

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 14/10/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2017, 10:31:04 AM »

Geez, I was glad that this event was going to be in our backyard.  Save money on travel, food and accommodations compared to it being hosted elsewhere.  But this is the first time I ever seen Regionals charging $ for parking.  $20/day?   

And then the hotel selection as part of the stay to play model.  I hope nobody booked at the hotels in either Lakewood or Arlington.  Can you image the morning commute for those out of state teams?  What time would one have to leave the hotel in Lakewood and be ready for a 8am kick off?   

Squash

• Administrator
  • Soccer Soldier
  • Joined 01/09/2005
    • View Profile
    • WPS-Soccer...The Pulse
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2017, 10:38:25 AM »

Geez, I was glad that this event was going to be in our backyard.  Save money on travel, food and accommodations compared to it being hosted elsewhere.  But this is the first time I ever seen Regionals charging $ for parking.  $20/day?   

And then the hotel selection as part of the stay to play model.  I hope nobody booked at the hotels in either Lakewood or Arlington.  Can you image the morning commute for those out of state teams?  What time would one have to leave the hotel in Lakewood and be ready for a 8am kick off?   

You have any links to this ridiculousness?

HockeyDad

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 14/03/2014
    YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2017, 11:59:25 AM »

Although honestly, probably no different than the ridiculousness we have dealt with in Portland playing at 5pm during any large tournament . . .    >:( >:(

Shaved Ice

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 14/10/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2017, 01:00:59 PM »

You have any links to this ridiculousness?

Yeah, sadly I do.

Here's the Event site: http://regioniv.usyouthsoccer.org/regional_championships/

Mid way down the page is the parking policy: http://regioniv.usyouthsoccer.org/parking_information/
$20/day if you don't get "The Planner" pass, only $40 for the duration of the event.

and then if you look at the Hotel Info link at the event site, and then click on the "area map" you get a view of the approved hotels, brought to you by our friends at Anthony Travel.... sigh  : https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=15PMOPxjsMEqx55icLRrkvrx3ZWw&ll=47.67027410704788%2C-122.27815850000002&z=8

LurkerRevealed

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 10/09/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2017, 02:03:17 PM »

About the same time as some who lives in Arlington or North Lakewood. 6:30 would get you their around 7am. If friday/Mon 6am may get you there by 7am..........state has done a wonderful job of merging traffic onto 405 from i5........Probably created more pollution for those 2 miles of convergence than all of 405 before the  "fast pass." Each ramp creates new convergence zones.  Thursday I left Marysville at 6:30 and arived at the hyatt at 8am.

I think we had a few tourneys in portland/beaverton that travel would have been similar, granted 30 min drive to 4 different fields. Smokey point hotels seam like a stupid Idea (granted good money grab for organization I suppose) there should be more than enough hotels on 405 for all teams, their parent, grand parents and 20 of each player's closest friends.

Squash

• Administrator
  • Soccer Soldier
  • Joined 01/09/2005
    • View Profile
    • WPS-Soccer...The Pulse
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2017, 05:14:57 PM »

So anyone have thoughts on how it went and is going? The weather for the most part has been perfect!!!!

merenguemom

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 26/08/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2017, 05:48:01 PM »

Grass was long which disadvantaged teams that "keep it on the deck" and all the local teams that train entirely on artificial turf.  It took several games for those teams to adjust the force of their passes (or move to passing in the air) to compensate.  It is annoying that next door at Willows Run they can maintain smooth, clean cut fairways but not at 60 acres for a major tournament.

Instructor32

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 09/03/2016
    Years
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2017, 06:53:32 PM »

There were some really good games and competition - a handful of blow outs. I also saw some impressive players with  strong skills and exceptional sportsmanship. One of the state associations (not WYS) set up a couple of tents with its own trainer plus drinks and healthy snacks to support all of its teams. One team that won it all had its team captains (not its coach) call out the names of players to receive their medals.

There were also a great many complaints about the hosting and management of the tournament behind the scenes. In addition to the grass issues, the event was seriously understaffed. The two staff people from US Youth in Texas set up the fields alone with no help on Sunday until well after sundown. (And the fields cost $50,000 for the event). Not enough field managers or radios to help referees who had roster issues before the semi-final games. The rosters were printed in such a way as to cut off 2-3 player names, which in one case masked the fact that a player could not play in a semi-final because of earning a red card. WYS and LOC staff were awful in the way they managed the golf carts speeding through crowds and players in ways that simply weren't safe. Plus the stage set up for the medal awards wasn't properly supported so it bowed every time a team was up there. Someone finally had to ask the teams not to jump up and down in celebration lest the thing collapse.

And then there was the parking. WYS set the $20/day fee because it botched the budget right before the event. Normally, parking is free for regionals. WYS had to get special permission to even charge for parking....and it made over $72,000 in pre-sale of parking passes from teams (the $40 for the entire event passes). Anyone remember when parking at 60 Acres was a modest $5 a day?

In general, the teams and players were great. One younger team who had been knocked out of the competition but wasn't flying home until later came to watch some older games on the last day. Their coach gave them an assignment to watch the game for specific things and used it to help improve his players. I was impressed at that, and at how engaged those players were.

Shaved Ice

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 14/10/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2017, 08:22:25 PM »

There were some really good games and competition - a handful of blow outs. I also saw some impressive players with  strong skills and exceptional sportsmanship. One of the state associations (not WYS) set up a couple of tents with its own trainer plus drinks and healthy snacks to support all of its teams. One team that won it all had its team captains (not its coach) call out the names of players to receive their medals.

There were also a great many complaints about the hosting and management of the tournament behind the scenes. In addition to the grass issues, the event was seriously understaffed. The two staff people from US Youth in Texas set up the fields alone with no help on Sunday until well after sundown. (And the fields cost $50,000 for the event). Not enough field managers or radios to help referees who had roster issues before the semi-final games. The rosters were printed in such a way as to cut off 2-3 player names, which in one case masked the fact that a player could not play in a semi-final because of earning a red card. WYS and LOC staff were awful in the way they managed the golf carts speeding through crowds and players in ways that simply weren't safe. Plus the stage set up for the medal awards wasn't properly supported so it bowed every time a team was up there. Someone finally had to ask the teams not to jump up and down in celebration lest the thing collapse.

And then there was the parking. WYS set the $20/day fee because it botched the budget right before the event. Normally, parking is free for regionals. WYS had to get special permission to even charge for parking....and it made over $72,000 in pre-sale of parking passes from teams (the $40 for the entire event passes). Anyone remember when parking at 60 Acres was a modest $5 a day?

In general, the teams and players were great. One younger team who had been knocked out of the competition but wasn't flying home until later came to watch some older games on the last day. Their coach gave them an assignment to watch the game for specific things and used it to help improve his players. I was impressed at that, and at how engaged those players were.

The first two days, the wet grass was long plus it built up in the cleats. Players were slipping due to the grass build up. The fields eventually dried up and what appeared like the mowed it Thursday sped up the fields.

I too heard the story about the two guys working til late Sunday night setting the fields first hand from one of the two guys. Seemed  the WYSA event coordinator changed a few months before leading to some chaos. I think we had a chance to show the region that we can host a top notch event but it turned out to be meh. Not the best, not the worst.

Disappointed to see that there was no water stoppage today midway through the halves to help the players  battle the heat.

In the end, the event was nice to have in our own backyard. My DK got to sleep in their own bed. Eat to their own dietary needs and bagged their 3rd Regional Championship.

ForTheKids

• Joined 09/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2017, 08:58:52 PM »

Grass was long which disadvantaged teams that "keep it on the deck" and all the local teams that train entirely on artificial turf.  It took several games for those teams to adjust the force of their passes (or move to passing in the air) to compensate.  It is annoying that next door at Willows Run they can maintain smooth, clean cut fairways but not at 60 acres for a major tournament.

My guess is they keep it long early in summer to give them a long summer tournament season. Nothing more than that.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up