The Pulse of Youth Soccer in Washington State

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on Regionals @ 60acres?¿?¿?  (Read 5771 times)

bebu

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 07/05/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Regionals @ 60acres?¿?¿?
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2017, 09:00:24 AM »

http://tournaments.usyouthsoccer.org/events/2017-Region-IV-Championships/

Region IV Boys Champions per state: Cal South 4, Nevada 1, Cal North 1, Arizona 1, Washington State 0
On the Girls side, Utah has 3.
It's not the grass.

Squash

• Administrator
  • WPS-Hall of Fame Poster
  • Soccer Soldier
  • Joined 01/09/2005
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • WPS-Soccer...The Pulse
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2017, 09:05:43 PM »

http://tournaments.usyouthsoccer.org/events/2017-Region-IV-Championships/

Region IV Boys Champions per state: Cal South 4, Nevada 1, Cal North 1, Arizona 1, Washington State 0
On the Girls side, Utah has 3.
It's not the grass.

Agreed all teams played on the same fields......the better teams tend to win the games.

soccer45girls

• WPS-SpamKing Special Agent
  • Joined 15/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2017, 04:42:34 PM »

I have to disagree with your assessment. I saw 2 national team camp players trip over the ball multiple times because the ball would stop mid move. The college coaches I talked to were disappointed because the speed of play was slowed down substantially, making it impossible to sufficiently assess the players they were interested in. When the grass grabs the ball and completely stops it mid run, causing a player to trip over it and lose possession, it is about the grass. Speed of play is huge and can't be ignored.
Top teams that defeated teams previously 2 months earlier by 9-0, lost in bracket play to the same roster due to the slow speed of play. And no, they were not the better teams.
"Somewhere behind the athlete you've become, and the hours of practice, and the coaches who have pushed you, is a little girl who fell in love with the game and never looked back...Play for her."  Mia Hamm

Squash

• Administrator
  • WPS-Hall of Fame Poster
  • Soccer Soldier
  • Joined 01/09/2005
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • WPS-Soccer...The Pulse
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2017, 06:51:01 PM »

I have to disagree with your assessment. I saw 2 national team camp players trip over the ball multiple times because the ball would stop mid move. The college coaches I talked to were disappointed because the speed of play was slowed down substantially, making it impossible to sufficiently assess the players they were interested in. When the grass grabs the ball and completely stops it mid run, causing a player to trip over it and lose possession, it is about the grass. Speed of play is huge and can't be ignored.
Top teams that defeated teams previously 2 months earlier by 9-0, lost in bracket play to the same roster due to the slow speed of play. And no, they were not the better teams.

I read this and unfortunately it sounds like sour grapes.

Teams need to adjust....players need to adjust......it's called reality.

Tell those couple of National team camp kids to work harder....carry on

soccer45girls

• WPS-SpamKing Special Agent
  • Joined 15/08/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2017, 09:50:44 PM »

I read this and unfortunately it sounds like sour grapes.

Teams need to adjust....players need to adjust......it's called reality.

Tell those couple of National team camp kids to work harder....carry on

Not sour grapes at all. It was the college coaches that especially didn't like it. So I don't know how you can come to that conclusion. Please read my comment again before you judge me as having sour grapes.
I have video footage of the fields from the ECNL Championships as compared to the Regional Playoffs, and they are not even close to the same condition that 60 Acres was then. I had to apologize to my out-of-state friends, being that I am a Washington parent and had said 60 Acres was known for golf course like fields. It wasn't even close. Very disappointing, not to mention, embarrassing.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:56:57 PM by soccer45girls »
"Somewhere behind the athlete you've become, and the hours of practice, and the coaches who have pushed you, is a little girl who fell in love with the game and never looked back...Play for her."  Mia Hamm

EWDOC

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 05/09/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2017, 10:02:54 PM »

So how did Washington teams do overall?

Instructor32

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 09/03/2016
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2017, 11:10:35 PM »

Region IV and US Youth Soccer staff was not impressed with fields or with quality of WYS hosting the event. Years ago, WYS was known for hosting such an event well. This time was utterly unimpressive and full of things that should have been handled better.

Washington teams did not fare all that well when it came to making the finals and taking home hardware.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up