The Pulse of Youth Soccer in Washington State

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changes coming to the PSPL High School schedules  (Read 2988 times)

lastplanet

• WPS-SpamKing Special Agent
  • Joined 26/04/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Changes coming to the PSPL High School schedules
« on: April 13, 2017, 09:05:02 AM »

Email that went out is below and looks like a link to the new calendars should be posted today on the pspl website.

My summary from what I've read and heard:  This has no affect on U11-U14.  Only HS age.  Reason for the changes is winter weather and the high number weather related forfeits happening in Jan-Feb and the inability of EWA teams to participate in WA Cup due to low field access or ability to train (snow).  Also to free up Dec for HS teams that want to do winter showcases/ID camps.

Boy HS--start Aug 19, 10 game league done 1st week of Nov, WA Cup done by Thanksgiving.  6-week west and separate east league (if interest) in Jan-Feb for teams that to use that as prep for their players for HS season.  That league might be multi-age, so U15/16, U17/18 and wouldn't count towards NPL.

Girls HS--start in early Aug and do half the 10 games before girls HS season.  The 2nd half would be played after HS season.  WA Cup in late March/early Apr.  Idea to avoid April as that is the month of spring breaks.

At the meeting, I did hear requests for flexibility in scheduling the Aug games in the first year since families have already made summer plans that include taking off weeks in August.  I suspect that many teams will have this problem so likely re-rescheduling the Aug games into Sept might be allowed year 1, but goal is to get to the point where those early Aug games are required.  Otherwise the goal of reducing calendar-congestion is defeated.  At least that was the impression I got.

Here's the email that went out (to managers, coaches, club admin, etc).

-------------------
Based on the two meetings hosted over the past weekend at Starfire, there appears to be a consensus to move the start dates for senior boys and girls - 15U and higher - into August in an effort to avoid bad weather and reduce schedule conflicts and congestion.

These proposals do not affect 10U to 14U. Their season start date will remain the same, kicking off the weekend following Labor Day.

While the August start dates for the senior boys and girls share one common theme, the overall schedules for the boys and the girls will be vastly different due to high school soccer conflicts.

For the senior boys, the DOCs and club officials generally agreed to kick off on Aug. 19 and play 10-game league season. The first round of WA Cup and the Finals of WA Cup will take place before Thanksgiving, thus giving players December off or to pursue other soccer opportunities.

This avoids teams having to play WA Cup in Jan-Feb during the worst part of the winter and allows teams to opt to pursure showcases and college ID camps as players ready for the spring high school season, which kicks off March 1.

The other suggestion is to offer a six-game league season during the Jan-Feb months for teams on the west side of the mountains. This league will be scheduled but it will not count for the NPL, but rather it will be offered to all levels of boys teams to prepare for the high school soccer teams. This league will be optional. A similar option could be available for Eastern WA teams.

For the senior girls, the schedule proposal is a bit more complicated. But the general consensus appears to agree to a Two-Part league season - one starting Aug. 5 and ending Dec. 2. The second half of the season would begin Feb. 24 and end March 18. Teams would play five games in both halves for a 10-game season.

For the first half, the teams would have eight dates to play five games. Teams would have required dates and flex dates. For example, teams would be required to play two games over the first two weekends in August. No games would be scheduled on Aug. 19, which is right before high school tryouts.

The second half of the season would begin Feb. 24 and run until March 18. Make-up/flex-date weekend would be March 24-25. Other flex dates could be added in February for traveling teams.

Girls WA Cup first round would take place March 30-April 1, and the Finals would follow on April 6-8.

For the girls, the early August start date allows teams to play four matches in August, break for high school soccer, play a two-game event-based league showcase first weekend in December, and play final four league matches in March, which will lead to WA Cup first two-weekends in April.

This proposals avoids bad winter months, gives players time off for rest as well as opens more options to pursure showcases, college ID camps and other soccer opportunities.

We'll be posting a link to a calendar online on Thursday that lays out both seasons.  We'll send out conference call information to DOCs for a call next Thursday at noon to discuss and finalize these proposals. The goal is to make a formal announcement by the end of April.

--------------------------------------

Instructor32

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 09/03/2016
    Years
    • View Profile
Re: Changes coming to the PSPL High School schedules
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 10:04:19 AM »

Well, that is one poorly written email from PSPL. Hopefully the conference call will make things clearer. Do you plan to send out the conference call info?

lastplanet

• Joined 26/04/2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 08:30:05 PM »

I'm not a DOC so won't be on the conference call.  The email went out broadly and there were meetings at Starfire over the weekend re the proposed changes.  I wasn't at the meetings but talked to those who were and i had a chance to look over the proposed calendar that was handed out. The calendar was going to be posted today and it is on the front page:
http://pugetsoundpremierleague.com
But the link was not working as of Thurs night.

Triple_dribble

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 17/03/2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 08:46:27 AM »

This might be a stupid question but why are no games played in May?

metz123

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 29/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 10:03:52 AM »

This might be a stupid question but why are no games played in May?

That is a brilliant question. For GHS it makes a hell of a lot more sense to push the schedule into May and move tryouts to mid June, than it does to make them play a stupid split schedule between August and March/April. I don't know what these "other soccer opportunities" are in December, january, february. Indoor soccer is a joke and a weekly game of futsal isn't going to help anyone.

If you thought the scheduling was tough around the various spring breaks in April, wait until you try and reschedule around family vacations in August.

I never understood the desire to complete the soccer year by the 1st weekend in May when school doesn't let out until the 3rd weekend in June.

SillyWho

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 10/09/2014
    YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 10:53:57 AM »

Tryouts for WYS teams have always been in May.

NKSoccerFan

• Joined 14/04/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 11:16:41 AM »

*since 2009 or so, when WYS decided that everyone had to sit around twiddling their thumbs while a few teams finished state cup.

metz123

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 29/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 12:57:34 PM »

That is and always has been an arbitrary date.

Let's put it this way. Does it make sense to have everyone playing in the dead of winter and have only a few teams playing in the good weather of may? Would it benefit the majority to have state cups pushed back a month, start GHS season in February and conclude at the end of April? Does that make a whole heck of a lot more sense than PSPL splitting the schedule between August and March?

EWDOC

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 05/09/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 01:22:39 PM »

*since 2009 or so, when WYS decided that everyone had to sit around twiddling their thumbs while a few teams finished state cup.

Goes way back farther than that. Right or wrong, the rule was wait for state cup to finish as well as so many days afterward so no club would have an advantage of holding tryouts before anyone else. Of course, this went out the door when US Club became more prevalent in the area.

In Idaho, I believe they wait until June. Not sure if this is still the case or not. But Metz is right, seems ridiculous in our state where the weather is a factor to have a schedule that competes with snow, poor fields, poor travel conditions, etc...just so tryouts can be held in early spring.

Triple_dribble

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 17/03/2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 10:14:32 PM »

Also, wouldn't this, in essence, kill HS participation in August tournaments? To say nothing of the fact that last year I only saw HS girls at practice for the first two weeks of August. Adding this the fact that HS tryouts start August 21 this year and I can't see how this is going to work. More players are going to disappear but not because the often cited "lack of interest" but the schedule is untenable unless it's the only thing the player does.

Why waste May with Girls HS tryouts (how many change at this age) and team formation meetings. The Girls HS season was already a mess with fragmented weeks of practice followed by long expanses of time off and a very compressed winter game schedule with multiple double-header weekends in a row.

lastplanet

• Joined 26/04/2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 09:56:26 AM »

Yeah, to me it seems like this schedule would cause HS girls drop off.  However, I got the impression that one problem is that all the league games are post HS, so it's harder for players to use club as prep for HS.   One criticism of the proposed boys schedule is that league ends Oct 28th is that club is no longer prep for boys HS.  They did propose a 6-game mini league in Jan-Feb for west side teams.  It could be done for eastside if there were interest, but generally there is the problem of no fields that time of year in EWA.

I get the impression that the timing of WA Cup is driving this to some extent and the fact that U18/19 participation in WA Cup is low as teams decide to do other tournaments, have too many players doing a HS winter sport (basketball), or are constrained by Jan/Feb weather.  Personally, I wish PSPL would totally re-think WA Cup for the HS teams.  Right now the seeding is such that the top division is teams that already faced each other in league games.  I'd make it a 5-game Swiss system tournament, spread out over 5 weekends between Sept to Feb with no ties allowed.  In a Swiss system, your opponent for next round is chosen from those with the same win-loss record and by round 3, opponents are similar strength even if randomly chosen.  Though some level seeding is good to avoid completely lopsided games. That would make a more exciting tournament and remove the need to organize the league schedule to be before WA Cup.  Double-elimination is my favorite, but that one can result in some teams playing 2 games and others playing a ton.

P.S. the link to the calendar proposal is still broken on the PSPL website.....

dkbrandi87

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 09/02/2016
    Years
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 12:46:16 PM »

Goes way back farther than that. Right or wrong, the rule was wait for state cup to finish as well as so many days afterward so no club would have an advantage of holding tryouts before anyone else. Of course, this went out the door when US Club became more prevalent in the area.

In Idaho, I believe they wait until June. Not sure if this is still the case or not. But Metz is right, seems ridiculous in our state where the weather is a factor to have a schedule that competes with snow, poor fields, poor travel conditions, etc...just so tryouts can be held in early spring.

I can confirm that Idaho tryouts are in June.  Idaho State Cup is Memorial Day Weekend and tryouts are typically held the first full week of June (this year, tryouts will likely be June 5th-8th), and IYSA has informed the club that I'm associated with that players aren't allowed to accept their position until June 12th.  We assume this is to ensure players can attend multiple tryouts.

Triple_dribble

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 17/03/2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 01:26:30 PM »

I would take that schedule in a heartbeat.

The girls High School league was already falling off for many reasons. An immediate one to me is that it not and never was a warm up for the High School season. For it to be that, the practices would have to start in May and run through the summer with games scheduled in June and July.

It feels like PSPL want to continue to patch the leaks instead being brave and getting a whole new boat. Can't really blame them though, the numbers ($) is with their U11-14 league. It's frustrating because it could be a good product but I'm praying they don't implement what lastplanet posted on April 13.

lastplanet

• Joined 26/04/2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 04:24:20 PM »

I'm praying they don't implement what lastplanet posted on April 13.
They posted the proposed new calendar:  http://pugetsoundpremierleague.com/leagues-5/new-league-schedule
The 6-game west side boys mini-league in Jan-Feb is not shown on this calendar.

If you don't like their proposal then make sure to talk sure to talk to your DOC and let them know your concerns.  The DOC call with PSPL is Thursday.  I'm writing to lobby for the Jan-Feb mini-league since without that the club season does not prep the boys for their HS season.

Last Time Around

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 04/05/2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 06:37:13 PM »

Has there been any update on the proposed league changes?

lastplanet

• Joined 26/04/2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 08:58:17 PM »

This was emailed out yesterday.  Managers and admins in your club would have gotten it.

-----------------------

Hey all -

We want to provide you with several updates as we conclude Washington Cup and the spring season. Now, as we head into the summer and fall, here are some key changes, issues and events that are upcoming.

High School Soccer Leagues

As discussed with many of you in earlier forums and meetings, the league is moving the start dates for senior boys and girls - 15U and higher - into August in an effort to avoid bad weather and reduce schedule conflicts and congestion.These proposals do not affect 9U to 14U. Their season start date will remain the same, kicking off the weekend following Labor Day. We will issue a formal announcement by Friday.  Please see the new Fall League 2017 schedule http://www.pugetsoundpremierleague.com/leagues-5/new-league-schedule, which outlines league and cup seasons for high school boys and girls and should help for planning purposes.

Fall League Registration

Fall league registration will open Thursday, May 4, for all leagues. Registration deadline will be much sooner for the high school leagues.

Registration deadlines:
•June 15: Boys & Girls High School Leagues. Late-registration deadline: June 22 + $250 late fee between June 16 and June 22.
•June 22: Boys & Girls Washington state Leagues, 9U to 14U. Late-registration deadline: June 29 + $250 late fee between June 22 and June 29.
•All league registration fees remain the same.

Triple_dribble

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 17/03/2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 10:30:58 AM »

Any idea on how likely this is going to stick? Has there been any push-back on this insane schedule?

lastplanet

• Joined 26/04/2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 05:58:48 PM »

Any idea on how likely this is going to stick? Has there been any push-back on this insane schedule?

Seems like they are moving forward.  I haven't heard of any push-back, but I'm not in a position to hear about that.  I've asked one DOC about it and he didn't think it was bad and had some positives.  My son is on a HS boys team.  Not sure how we'll field a team in August, but having Jan-Feb to focus on tournaments will be good for our team. 

Here's the latest email

--------------

PSPL moves High School Soccer League start dates to August

SEATTLE - May 5, 2017 - The PSPL has announced today that it will formally move the start dates for senior boys and girls - 15U and higher - into August for the 2017 boys and girls season.

The change reflects a serious effort to avoid bad weather, reduce schedule conflicts and a promote player first vision. This league calender change for high school-age players does NOT affect younger ages - 9U-14U. The younger ages will kick off Sept. 9, following Labor Day weekend, as normal.

To see a color-coded full-year calendar that represents the new dates for an entire cycle, please click:

NEW DATES  https://pugetsoundpremierleague.demosphere-secure.com/leagues-5/new-league-schedule

While the August start dates for high school boys and girls share one objective, the overall schedules will diverge.

For the senior boys, the fall season begins on Aug. 19. Teams will play a 10-game league season that ends in late October. The first round of WA Cup and the Finals of WA Cup will conclude the weekend before Thanksgiving.

This gives players the month of December for a break - or to pursue other soccer or personal interests. With December being one of the worst weather months of the year, it is also a good time for players to take some time off to recharge the physical and mental batteries.

The Boys High School calendar changes avoid playing WA Cup during the cold and snow-plagued Jan-Feb timeframe - creating a more evenly balanced tournament for teams from both sides of the mountain.  It also allows teams to pursure showcase tournaments, college ID camps and focus on training for the spring high school season, which kicks off March 1.

The PSPL is offering a Winter League for high school boys that will take place in January-February 2018. The six-game league season will be a regional westside league open to all high school club teams that want a league-based competition to help players prepare for high school soccer. The league will be scheduled, will post scores. but it will not count for the NPL.  The league is open to putting age-group combinations together or look at other options to make it successful for the players and teams.

The fall season registration is open:

REGISTER NOW  https://pugetsoundpremierleague.demosphere-secure.com/registration

For high school girls, the schedule proposal is based on two seasons - Fall 2017 and Spring 2018.

The fall season begins Aug. 5 and ends Dec. 3. Teams have eight dates to play five games. Teams have required dates and flex dates .For example, teams are required to play at least two games over the first two weekends in August. But the next dates for fall games include: Nov 18-19 and Dec. 2-3. No games are scheduled during the fall high school girls season.

The spring season begins Feb. 24 and ends March 18.  Make-up/flex-dates are March 24-25. Other flex dates can be added in February for traveling teams. Teams play five games in both halves for a 10-game season.

The first round of the high school girls WA Cup moves tentatively to March 30-April 1; The Finals follow on April 6-8. Moving WA Cup two weeks forward avoids many of the sping conflicts for high school girls, among other benefits.

The PSPL will offer a G03 "Trapped Players" league in the fall, for girls born in 2003. The season will be six games and start Sept 16 and end Oct. 29. The same will hold true for the boys in the spring.

These schedule changes still follow the May-to-May, 12-month cycle that most competitive select and premier clubs follow. Most tryouts would take place end of April and first half of May - as they do now.

--The PSPL

lastplanet

• Joined 26/04/2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 01:38:20 PM »

Some more updates from PSPL about how the next season will look like:

Some division name changes:

NWCL is no longer the NPL league in WA.  The top division of PSPL is becoming the WA NPL league.  The winner of that goes to a regional NPL, I think, and the winner of that goes to the national NPL.  I think that's how it going to work.

NPL (was WSPL1) -- state-wide.  Not clear what the size of the division will be.  NPL will be required to play WA Cup (early November now for HS age boys).
WSPL (was WSPL2) -- state-wide.  Sounds like this might have levels, so maybe there will be WSPL1, WSPL2, WSPL3
Classic West and Classic East -- regional.  PSPL has been moving towards regional Classic league for awhile.
Copa West and Copa East -- regional as always.

Calendar changes: I already posted on that.  Registration deadlines pushed earlier (June 15 for 2003 and older) due to start of leagues being in August. 
https://pugetsoundpremierleague.demosphere-secure.com/leagues-5/new-league-schedule

Many new clubs in E WA (+ Missoula and a few western ID).  Missoula plays games in Spokane.  The E WA development league (U8-U10) seems to have been fairly successful and they are ageing up into U11, so I'm guessing that is driving this. 

lastplanet

• Joined 26/04/2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2017, 02:37:28 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up