The Pulse of Youth Soccer in Washington State

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Currently:
  • Four Four Two: Parents rightfully demanding more from inconsistent youth soccer 5 1
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Four Four Two: Parents rightfully demanding more from inconsistent youth soccer  (Read 2975 times)

ForTheKids

• WPS-SpamKing Special Agent
  • Joined 09/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile

The "benefit" is being connected to an allegedly "prestigious" event. That helps recruiting, makes the teams better, and therefore "benefits" the entire affiliated adult establishment.

So the beneficiaries of paying for attending meaningless travel tournaments are ... the parents that pay for them because of the so called prestige?  I was hoping you were going to point out adult parties that actually benefit from these events.  I personally know very few that want to write these checks, they feel obligated to write them because the soccer community has said to them that their DK needs to live in this elite world to get to the next level of soccer. Right or wrong, most are reluctant customers. They are not telling family and friends how great it is to be plopping down $5K+ for youth soccer. Many are embarrassed by it.  I do not think your theory is accurate.  Very few parents do it because of prestige, most do it because they have been told that is where you need to be if you are to give DK a fighting chance to move onto the next level in the game. It may not be right but that is the messaging.

I was hoping you had identified other adults that benefit from the current situation.

tripleplay

• WPS-Hall of Fame Poster
  • Joined 17/02/2009
    • View Profile

The "benefit" is being connected to an allegedly "prestigious" event. That helps recruiting, makes the teams better, and therefore "benefits" the entire affiliated adult establishment.

So the beneficiaries of paying for attending meaningless travel tournaments are ... the parents that pay for them because of the so called prestige?  I was hoping you were going to point out adult parties that actually benefit from these events.  I personally know very few that want to write these checks, they feel obligated to write them because the soccer community has said to them that their DK needs to live in this elite world to get to the next level of soccer. Right or wrong, most are reluctant customers. They are not telling family and friends how great it is to be plopping down $5K+ for youth soccer. Many are embarrassed by it.  I do not think your theory is accurate.  Very few parents do it because of prestige, most do it because they have been told that is where you need to be if you are to give DK a fighting chance to move onto the next level in the game. It may not be right but that is the messaging.

I was hoping you had identified other adults that benefit from the current situation.
You misunderstand. It's not the parents. It's the coaches, DOCs, admins of soccer orgs, et al who benefit from "prestigious" events. Some parents and kids feel that way, too, but the drivers are the adults in USYS/WYS/Clubs etc. These people have to do something to justify their jobs, so they do.

ForTheKids

• WPS-SpamKing Special Agent
  • Joined 09/03/2009
    • View Profile

You misunderstand. It's not the parents. It's the coaches, DOCs, admins of soccer orgs, et al who benefit from "prestigious" events. Some parents and kids feel that way, too, but the drivers are the adults in USYS/WYS/Clubs etc. These people have to do something to justify their jobs, so they do.

OMG OMG OMG.  TP and I agree.   Thank you my friend.  Cannot agree more. It has really  become sillyland with little to no value add.

ouch

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 06/10/2016
    Years
    • View Profile

Tripleplay: You may not understand how the scholarships being offered are funded.   At Eagleclaw, there is no circumstance, and there never has been,  where one set of players subsidizes another. These scholarships are available solely because of charitable contributions made to the Eagleclaw Foundation by a handful of generous donors who earmarked their contributions specifically for our Advanced Academy.

Our business model is quite simple. Develop players to the highest level of ability they desire, by providing the highest quality instruction to as many kids as possible, in the best environment possible, for as long as possible, while working to keep the cost as low as possible and paying our coaches  in a way that complies with the law.

And, respectfully, we believe we have built a better mousetrap and continue to work hard at it.

Well written response, thank you.  Appreciate your participation on this board.

ouch

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 06/10/2016
    Years
    • View Profile

Yes!

EWSoccer64

• Joined 07/02/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile

Speaking more generally, the Eagleclaw financial approach should be condemned. Basically, the club's goal is to attract good players (their bread and butter). Instead of building a better mousetrap, the approach is to find one set of players willing to subsidize another set. The problem is that the players who are recipients of these subsidies in general will have neither need nor merit. It's a crass attempt to exploit parental ignorance if you ask me.

Money is used to entice players all the time at the elite levels. Players not requiring assistance get free.  Crossfire, one you laud regularly for performance nationally, uses money frequently to secure talent.  Just be consistent in your consternation.

Not saying that it is unique, but this example of "let's go buy a good team" is certainly bigger in scale than you usually find in youth sports.

If you care about participation (the original point of this thread) there is really only one concern - improving the quality of the experience by offering what kids want. This is the exact opposite of what adult soccer officialdom (like you) is doing - reducing options, adding restrictions, recklessly breaking up teams ... If you want to turn us into North Korea, don't be surprised when kids start  voting with their feet.

I am continually attacked for bringing up real world issues - let's offer real, meaningful like v like competition (instead of constructing mismatched leagues to benefit whining adults), let's offer kids real choices of teams and clubs (instead of forcing them into the clubs of the most politically astute adults), let's have refs who are fair and can see the game (instead of using reffing as a way of rewarding a politically preferred class of adults). But naturally nobody wants to acknowledge their own role in degrading the sport experience for youth.

AHA.  Finally TP is seeing that the RCL is the problem not the solution.

lester

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 14/12/2005
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile

Speaking more generally, the Eagleclaw financial approach should be condemned. Basically, the club's goal is to attract good players (their bread and butter). Instead of building a better mousetrap, the approach is to find one set of players willing to subsidize another set. The problem is that the players who are recipients of these subsidies in general will have neither need nor merit. It's a crass attempt to exploit parental ignorance if you ask me.

Money is used to entice players all the time at the elite levels. Players not requiring assistance get free.  Crossfire, one you laud regularly for performance nationally, uses money frequently to secure talent.  Just be consistent in your consternation.

Not saying that it is unique, but this example of "let's go buy a good team" is certainly bigger in scale than you usually find in youth sports.

If you care about participation (the original point of this thread) there is really only one concern - improving the quality of the experience by offering what kids want. This is the exact opposite of what adult soccer officialdom (like you) is doing - reducing options, adding restrictions, recklessly breaking up teams ... If you want to turn us into North Korea, don't be surprised when kids start  voting with their feet.

I am continually attacked for bringing up real world issues - let's offer real, meaningful like v like competition (instead of constructing mismatched leagues to benefit whining adults), let's offer kids real choices of teams and clubs (instead of forcing them into the clubs of the most politically astute adults), let's have refs who are fair and can see the game (instead of using reffing as a way of rewarding a politically preferred class of adults). But naturally nobody wants to acknowledge their own role in degrading the sport experience for youth.

Way to F things up EW.  Just when she had argued herself around to the point of agreeing with most old timers, you go and point it out to her.
Now this thread will never end.  Either that or she's getting old, too, and didn't notice.

Panna Bear

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 09/10/2015
    YearsYears
    • View Profile

Way to F things up EW.  Just when she had argued herself around to the point of agreeing with most old timers, you go and point it out to her.
Now this thread will never end.  Either that or she's getting old, too, and didn't notice.

Didn't know TP was female. Most of her kids must have of aged out by now or really close.
Must be tiring to be posting 4-5 posts a day for 8 years.

EWSoccer64

• Joined 07/02/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile

Didn't know TP was female. Most of her kids must have of aged out by now or really close.

What else does she have to do with her life?   Her kids do not respond to her e-mails, they do not answer her calls, and they have blocked her on facebook.

ouch

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 06/10/2016
    Years
    • View Profile

What else does she have to do with her life?   Her kids do not respond to her e-mails, they do not answer her calls, and they have blocked her on facebook.

:-[ :-\
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up