The Pulse of Youth Soccer in Washington State

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PSPL Juniors Academy  (Read 3374 times)

spursyMom

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 01/05/2017
    • View Profile
PSPL Juniors Academy
« on: May 01, 2017, 10:08:31 AM »

We recently put our son into the newly formed PSPL Jr Academy hoping that the kinks in the Surf Academy had been worked out by now.  It appears they have not.  To date, we have paid $525 for a single training day, and it now looks that 1 of the 2 promised tournaments may not take place.  The tournament is in 3 weeks, and there has not been a peep from the coach or from the academy.  My wishful thinking that this would turn out to be a solid program are fading fast.  I think it’s just a money maker.

2Shortie

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 01/09/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: PSPL Juniors Academy
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 05:57:04 PM »

PSPL is absolutely a moneymaker for  whoever it benefits- Stanley, coaches- but most certainly not the kids.  $500 is outrageous for the Juniors.  You are better off getting your kid enrolled with Coerver or Eagleclaw.  They will learn more and you will actually see a return on your investment via tangible improvement. 

We left PSPL Academy after multiple years of wasted money.  We too wanted to believe in the potential, but sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade.

SocAllDay

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 01/05/2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 07:01:28 PM »

I've only been in the area for a year now and I'm still trying to figure out which Academy programs offers the best coaching. It seems to be pretty inconsistent from club to club and even between age groups. What's the concensus in the area?

ForTheKids

• WPS-SpamKing Special Agent
  • Joined 09/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 09:25:46 PM »

Go to coerver.  A lot if possible until age 13 at least

spursyMom

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 01/05/2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 09:32:43 AM »

I'd agree with the Coerver comment.  It's a great way for kids to work on their foot skills in a competitive environment.

thenoseknows

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 13/02/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 10:54:27 AM »

PSPL won't get their kinks worked out because they simply will not acknowledge that there is a problem and where it truly lies. I was a manager for our Surf Academy team for two years, one year when it was under the control of Eddie Henderson and Amanda Axelson, and then the following year when it was under the control of Steve Richards and Marlon Mejia. The experiences were VASTLY different.

The biggest difference was communication between the Academy and Managers and the Academy and parents. Under Eddie and Amanda the communication was MUCH better, you asked a question, you received an answer. Under Steve and Marlon, you asked a question you typically never heard back until maybe three follow-up emails later and then getting Stanley Holmes involved (and sometimes that didn't even work)

The other thing that was different was the relationship and interest that they took in your kid. Eddie and Amanda and other coaches knew your kid and advocated for them with college coaches.

Under Steve and Marlon, many kids seemed like just a number and it was obvious that if your DS/DD wasn't a favorite, they spent no time getting to know him or her. 

Another interesting difference was the quality of transportation, accommodations, and meals while away at tournaments.
Under Eddie and Amanda your kids were well taken care of. This is obviously where PSPL decided to cut costs under Steve and Marlon, we ran into situations where the kids ran out of food for breakfast at a tournament in Canada so we had to go to Denny's that was next door and the kids to pay for it out of their own pockets, or the food was rationed to a point where there wasn't enough to eat (you cannot cut a regular sized slice of pizza in half and say that you allowed them to have two slices. No, you only allowed them to have one technically. You also cannot expect that will be enough food for 16 and 17 year old boys and girls after playing in two games of a tournament and expecting them to be able to perform the next day).
The list goes on and on.

If you want a good Academy experience go to Washingtonsay.org and look up Pass Academy. A lot of these coaches are the ones from Surf before Steve and Marlon had a hand in the organization.

GeauxTigers

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 10/07/2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 05:33:14 PM »

Things have only taken a turn for the worse at PSPL. We are asking for a full refund which is what we would encourage other families to do as well for the Surf Juniors. Our son will only potentially get the opportunity to play in one tournament if we weren't pulling him out. I know the coaching staff tried to work with the administration of PSPL to no avail. They knew MONTHS ago that a good number of kids were going to the Surf Cup with their club teams and refused to listen to our pleas to find other tournaments.
The Juniors  were not taken to any Memorial Day tournaments when all other ages were....so why pay $600 in total that is supposed to be used for travel?  They can't field 2 Juniors teams 05 and 06 for the Surf Cup so they are combining the teams to play in the 05 group.  I can't even begin to understand how they rationalize this.  They knew a number of kids couldn't make it and still continued on with their Surf Cup plans in spite of all of the pleas. Very disappointing experience thus far.

Instructor32

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 09/03/2016
    Years
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 05:16:01 AM »

So who is running the Academy now that Steve Richards has moved to Georgia?

pnwfan

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 18/08/2015
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 01:20:57 PM »

So who is running the Academy now that Steve Richards has moved to Georgia?

Wait.....Is that a joke or true story? Did Steve Richards really move to GA?

We have also been very disappointed. Based on our experience so far, I would not recommend it to anyone.  I;m afraid there is alot of truth to the favorites comment above. 

It's practically impossible to get a response to a dirct email.  I heard rumors of the poor communication but was hoping it was just a glitch of getting things running.  I've gotten a general info email from Marlon, hit reply immediately and nothing....crickets....no response.  Wondering....Is he a paid employee or volunteer?

rustysurf83

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 11/06/2015
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 01:51:23 PM »

Their website reads like an apology.  Don't know who the "I" in this is though and wouldn't expect money back.  My daughter is doing the Junior camp in Spokane next week, will let everyone know what our experience is like.
It is true that this has been a transition year for the academy program. I have been tasked to set a new vision and plan for the future, beginning in 2017. Throughout this strategic planning process, it was our intent at the academy to be aggressive in creating a plan designed to reach and exceed a lofty set of goals. To successfully compete at the elite soccer level, we must set the bar high.

Without question there are risks associated with a plan, but I believe in stepping out on a limb to arrive at a higher place. Success starts with a vision, then guided by a well-conceived plan. It was clear to me that we needed to overhaul certain parts of our program to re-evaluate its goals and objectives. It was clear that serving you remained the top priority.

You as a customer deserved better from us. Nothing is more important than regaining your trust, and all of us here hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you onboard again in 2017.

With that in mind, I have laid out a plan to solidify our place in the youth soccer landscape. The first concern was communication. We will have a single point of communication and a single point for academy information. We are close to completing a new academy website design to make it easy to find all academy information. We are quitting Team Cowboy accounts because it caused too much confusion. Instead, we will be rolling out better and more clear lines of communication tools to better communicate with you.

Instructor32

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 09/03/2016
    Years
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 09:58:28 PM »

I think that was written by Steve Richards shortly after he became the Academy DOC. And yes, he really has moved to Georgia,  although I heard he may be commuting back for some Academy events this summer. I think the challenge is that the Academy doesn't have good administrative support which means the coaches are hampered in delivering a better quality program for the players. I don't think Stanley believes in paying for decent admin, and it has hurt the program.

onetouchsoccer

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 15/03/2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 02:25:24 PM »

Rusty what age is your daughter

rustysurf83

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 11/06/2015
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 03:39:34 PM »

U10/2008.  This will be our first experience with PSPL, so we'll see...

PSPLfake

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 13/07/2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 01:09:07 AM »

horrible experience. More to come shortly.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:21:21 AM by PSPLfake »

GeauxTigers

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 10/07/2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 10:10:49 AM »

Update...
Instead of trying to work with parents and come up with solutions to make things right, PSPL has decided to offer full refunds to any Junior Academy family that requests it. PSPL did not convey that message directly, they tasked a PSPL Junior Academy family to send out the email to the other families.  Asking a family to send an email on behalf of PSPL to tell other families to contact PSPL if they want a refund is quite possibly the most unprofessional thing I've seen or heard in quite a while.  That single action of cowardice is everything you need to know about PSPL Surf Academy.  It might be time for new leadership to take control over there.  No, it's definitely time for new leadership at PSPL.     

rustysurf83

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 11/06/2015
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 04:17:46 PM »

I don't get it, not like it is very difficult to respond to emails and communicate with people.  My parents always give me grief for over-communicating and I am a volunteer for two U-little teams.  Willing to be that I could single-handedly run the academy more effectively than any of their current staff, but I never played high level soccer so...

onetouchsoccer

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 15/03/2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 12:22:53 PM »

rusty sent ya private IM

rustysurf83

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 11/06/2015
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 09:40:06 AM »

The Junior camp was essentially a neutral experience.  Although it wasn't as minsmanaged as the Academy program has been described here, it did have the feel of being cobbled together.  My daughter's favorite coach was Eloy Velasco;  he was there throughout the week.  Based on my observations, Vernon Croft did the best job running the sessions on Wednesday/Thursday.  There was a coach named Mark that ran Monday & Tuesday, not sure of his last name.  Overall, I would say that the players were a bit more skilled than you would see in a typical camp.  We would attend again if we had a week of summer to fill, but I would give priority to some other options in the area.  I think the 90+ project guys have a fantastic program going on right now, their coaches do an awesome job and they also have offered free clinics throughout the summer.  I still haven't gotten confirmation from PSPL/Surf if they are going to do the additional Spokane block training starting on August 4th.  Oldest is off to Northwest Soccer Camp next week.  She had a really good time last summer and is super excited.

rustysurf83

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 11/06/2015
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 09:10:21 PM »

Still havent received any response from PSPL Surf re: the Spokane Block Training Sessions that I have registered my daughter for and paid.  Looking at 3 emails, 2 phone calls, and 1 FB post so far with absolutely no response...these people are apparently incompetent...Wonder if I'll get an email from another parent shortly?

SoccerDadx2

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 13/09/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 10:44:09 AM »

this is what i done to get their attention , i email this person who is in charge  of western region of us club which PSPL is under .

the second they seen that email go to him they as in stanley and that whack job of the PSPL surf DOC call me within seconds
West: Gabe Rood
grood@usclubsoccer.org | (707) 332-4316

Instructor32

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 09/03/2016
    Years
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 11:25:17 AM »

Gabe is a good man - and he is responsive to communications.

soccertipster

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 19/06/2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2017, 01:32:30 AM »

Yes, you are doing best money making a thing. Hope your son will get best soccer practice.

rustysurf83

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 11/06/2015
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2017, 09:12:14 PM »

PSPL hired Vernon Croft as their Academy Director. Hoepfully the program isn't so far gone that he can't fix it.  My daughters interaction with him has been minimal, but he seems to be a really solid person.

windy90

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 20/08/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2017, 01:48:44 PM »

How did you get a "Golden Ticket"??
 :drinks:

rustysurf83

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 11/06/2015
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2017, 02:05:47 PM »

I have no idea, it just showed up as my avatar one day.  I mean...I am pretty awesome I suppose.

soccertipster

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 19/06/2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2017, 12:39:00 AM »

How's the academy running? Hope the Academy going on the great way!
Pages: [1]   Go Up