The Pulse of Youth Soccer in Washington State

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The board  (Read 1548 times)

English1

• WPS-SpamKing Special Agent
  • Joined 08/06/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
The board
« on: May 08, 2017, 05:04:46 PM »

How does your board get voted in and who is it made up of?
English

All for One

• WPS Premier Poster
  • Joined 30/03/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: The board
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 06:05:40 PM »

How does your board get voted in and who is it made up of?

At FC Portland, the chairman of the board is the wife of the club's founder, Clive Charles. All other board members are appointed by the current board when a spot opens up, which has only happened once in the last 5 years. They tend to be prominent local businessmen or otherwise connected to FCP / UP in some way. None of the board members are parents of kids in the club.

Unlucky1

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 31/01/2016
    Years
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 10:32:05 PM »

Sounds like a solid plan. Rec or Select I don't see this as an issue.  But as a premier Club I think this would avoid potential conflict of interest of feeling pressure to keep a board members kid on a team when they don't deserve to be. Neighboring Clubs would be sure to benefit from this situation.

English1

• Joined 08/06/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 11:20:02 PM »

I agree, board members should not have any children playing in the club while they are on the board. Anyone else? How is your board working for you? What are the conflicts? What is working well? Is it diverse?
English

dkbrandi87

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 09/02/2016
    Years
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 08:16:09 AM »

I'm just here for the info  :angel:

Living in Northern Idaho, the soccer environment is a bit different here than in Seattle or Portland (even Spokane and Tri-Cities).

tripleplay

• WPS-Hall of Fame Poster
  • Joined 17/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 09:00:49 AM »

Board members are parents and there are never any contested votes.

Independent

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 16/02/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 09:09:40 AM »

Sounds like a solid plan. Rec or Select I don't see this as an issue.  But as a premier Club I think this would avoid potential conflict of interest of feeling pressure to keep a board members kid on a team when they don't deserve to be. Neighboring Clubs would be sure to benefit from this situation.

I will disagree.  I think a healthy Board can have members with current players; you just don't want to have it over-balanced that direction.  But, those people need to be willing to provide guidance that adheres to the Mission of the entity.  It's all about finding those people who can think and act outside of their self-interest and play well together. 

Instructor32

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 09/03/2016
    Years
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 09:21:04 AM »

Is there a training component needed here? How many boards get an orientation to the responsibilities members have with respect to the organization when they sign on?

I'm not sure it matters as much whether people have kids playing in the club. It matters that they understand the role that they have signed up for on the board - and that it isn't about getting on the board to advocate for their own kids.

Independent

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 16/02/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 09:39:27 AM »

Is there a training component needed here? How many boards get an orientation to the responsibilities members have with respect to the organization when they sign on?

I'm not sure it matters as much whether people have kids playing in the club. It matters that they understand the role that they have signed up for on the board - and that it isn't about getting on the board to advocate for their own kids.

My experience is in the non-profit education realm.  And for that, there is plenty of training, with a clearly defined set of guidelines for what the Board is assembled to do.  But, yes, there should be an orientation process for Board members.  I get the sense that it is a little more of the wild wild west in this realm than what I have experienced.

Instructor32

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 09/03/2016
    Years
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 12:08:35 PM »

I have a colleague who works with non-profit boards, including soccer clubs. My sense is that most in youth sports don't do much in the way of training and orientation. It is largely make it up as you go because clubs rarely have a good way to keep track of institutional memory.

English1

• Joined 08/06/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 12:56:08 PM »

Does it benefit the children of those board members ever or is everyone totally objective?
English

Instructor32

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 09/03/2016
    Years
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 02:57:57 PM »

English -

It depends on the club. I actually think there is more risk for DOCs and coaches who coach the children of board members - in terms of job security - than there is benefit for the children of board members. Too many parents do not understand that it is not OK to bring your personal agendas about your children into board meetings to force a DOC or club coaches to do something specific for your child. I have seen too many DOCs fired for "crossing" a parent who sits on a board because of a team or a player issue that is unrelated to the DOCs job as a senior leader in a club.

Hoosecow

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 17/12/2014
    YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 08:02:06 AM »

For about half of my board tenure, my dd played for rival clubs. I don't know that any of that influenced my voting. In general, one is busy enough just trying to put on a good program.

tripleplay

• WPS-Hall of Fame Poster
  • Joined 17/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 10:29:34 AM »

For about half of my board tenure, my dd played for rival clubs. I don't know that any of that influenced my voting. In general, one is busy enough just trying to put on a good program.
Typical is kid changing club and the board member resigning. Ironically, the board member would be better at his job due to exposure with a different club. But clubs require conformity and parents don't want to volunteer for something with no perceived non-financial perks.

QuitWhining

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 25/07/2015
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 01:10:10 PM »

Typical is kid changing club and the board member resigning. Ironically, the board member would be better at his job due to exposure with a different club. But clubs require conformity and parents don't want to volunteer for something with no perceived non-financial perks.

I completely agree with the irony part of this post.  As a parent of a kid that changed clubs and remaining a member of the BOD of the first club the insight I was able to provide good, bad and indifferent on how the new club ran was very good for the club I sat on.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:08:23 PM by QuitWhining »
Pages: [1]   Go Up