The Pulse of Youth Soccer in Washington State

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What would you do with your 2009 DS or DD?  (Read 834 times)

ouch

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 06/10/2016
    Years
    • View Profile
What would you do with your 2009 DS or DD?
« on: June 04, 2017, 01:09:26 AM »

I found the "Top 5 Washington youth soccer club" post interesting... if you had a very talented - not overly physically talented, but exceptionally technically and mentally talented 2009 DS or DD, how would you determine a club?

Let's assume your DS or DD is in the top 10% of all players in his age group.  What would you do as a parent?

blacksheep

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 19/05/2015
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What would you do with your 2009 DS or DD?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 07:29:14 AM »

You know what?  I don't think it matters what YOU do.  It's what your kid wants. 

Find a good team, it doesn't really matter which one because you'll get dozens of coaches over the years.  Stick with that team.  Don't hop around club to club (though I've seen that work).  Get out of the way of your kid i.e. don't have them so dependent on you for approval that they're always looking over their shoulder.  And things will either work out or they won't depending on what your kid wants out of soccer.  Don't make it about you.  Most important rule, more important than where they play. 

rustysurf83

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 11/06/2015
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 08:55:08 AM »

If I were on the West side and could make the commute work, Eagleclaw.  Otherwise, I would find a good group of parents, players, and a coach and not worry about what the name on the jersey is.

tripleplay

• WPS-Hall of Fame Poster
  • Joined 17/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 10:02:30 PM »

First thing is to get a reality check. A parent's assessment of his kid's exceptional "mental talent" has a very low probability of being correct. Beyond that, blacksheep's advice was pretty good.

onetouchsoccer

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 15/03/2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 12:06:35 PM »

2009???  Really! ! !

Like others said, find a team with a good coach, kids and families...  Don't chase the name, make sure your kid is having fun most of all all while learning.  You have a long ways to go and if you start chasing and pushing your kid certain ways, you will burn that kid out in the next 5 years and they will be done....

They are 8 years old.....

itsagame32

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 05/06/2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 02:03:00 PM »

Best advice we got when our son was starting to outgrow rec was to go with a large club that has room to move up or down to his level.  We are on West side and went with SU.  DS has been able to move up year to year as his technical ability got better.  Coaches all know each other, see kids year to year, etc.  Didn't need to switch clubs to look for higher level of competition.  SU, Crossfire, Pac NW, Surf, etc.  Go with the club in your area and find carpooling options!

One other thing that doesn't get talked about much in these posts is the kids school friends.  Of course as the competition gets higher and higher his classmates won't be on same team, but if there are others in his/her school from same club, it creates the recognition from peers that I think is lacking with the club vs school teams.  Youngsters like to play with their friends.

Good luck!

Dazed and Confused

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 19/05/2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 12:16:16 PM »

2009???  Really! ! !

Like others said, find a team with a good coach, kids and families...  Don't chase the name, make sure your kid is having fun most of all all while learning.  You have a long ways to go and if you start chasing and pushing your kid certain ways, you will burn that kid out in the next 5 years and they will be done....

They are 8 years old.....

I am completely a noob here and will likely get the hammer for this, but there is not much consistent in youth sports, but maybe the negative posts by triple play.....  Smile and enjoy life it will be over before you know it

Dazed and Confused

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 19/05/2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 12:25:31 PM »

OK, now that I likely got myself in trouble for the tripleplay thing I will answer the question.  Before U13 in my unlearned opinion the club and the coach is probably way down on the priority list as long as there is a good soccer philosophy foundation/ and the young player is developing. 

I have two kids right now one is a decent enough player and is on a DA team. The other one says he loves soccer, but I am guessing he loves his brother is more closer to the point (big age difference).  My "other" son is a 09 and he is playing year around, but at a different, more cost efficient club.  They still have paid coaches, and are working on the fundamentals of soccer at a higher level, but it is cheaper.

Matter of fact my older son started out on a smaller, laid back club then made the jump to the crazy Big Club.  I do think moving to a bigger club is more important if they are truly a high level player.  But if your talented and have a good coach, club, team with a good philosophy you will be discovered.  Soccer is still a small community and most solid coaches are networked in with the right folks to get your kid a look if warranted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up