The Pulse of Youth Soccer in Washington State

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Region IV Boys OPD Camp?  (Read 1036 times)

SoccerDad2005

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 07/06/2017
    • View Profile
Region IV Boys OPD Camp?
« on: June 07, 2017, 04:22:11 PM »

Just received an email today about the camp at the University of Idaho in July.  Does anyone have any info/experience with this?  Is this a legit "selected player" camp, or just a money grab to bring in kids for a soccer camp with a fancy name?   Excited for my son, but I want to be sure this will be worth the time and $$ ($625 for 3 nights/4 days)

Thanks in advance

raddad

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 26/05/2014
    YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Region IV Boys OPD Camp?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 04:50:56 PM »

Legit camp but there is no selection. Everyone in the program for that birth year is invited.

kinznk

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 28/07/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 08:28:19 PM »

I think this one is by invite. There were 3 other camps open to all odp players; 1 in Norcal, Boise, and somewhere else. My son said only 4 players from his odp team were invited to this camp back in January. Perhaps they are opening it up due to players not going. Your son may have been scouted at the friendship cup if he went over Memorial day weekend.

raddad

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 26/05/2014
    YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 09:16:22 PM »

you might be right, I may be confused if there is a second camp in Idaho this year.

I think this one is by invite. There were 3 other camps open to all odp players; 1 in Norcal, Boise, and somewhere else. My son said only 4 players from his odp team were invited to this camp back in January. Perhaps they are opening it up due to players not going. Your son may have been scouted at the friendship cup if he went over Memorial day weekend.

merenguemom

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 26/08/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 09:36:46 AM »

Last year there were two invites that went out.  One after Jan ODP regionals and one after friendship cup.  Not sure if kids invited after friendship cup were "back fill" for turn downs to first invite or if the plan was to fill camp in two phases.  I know several kids that went that thought it was good experience due to the chance to train with other high level kids.  That said, there are few SoCal kids that make the trip so the best of the best aren't there.  On the other hand, if your kid gets picked for a national ODP camp from the Region IV Camp (note YNT camps are completely separate) it will raise their currency with Sounders and Xfire DA as both like to be able to market that their players are being invited to national programs of any sort.

My kid didn't go for several reasons:  conflict with planned family time and was already set to go to a high level camp in SoCal the following week.  In retrospect, and with more insight into how political some of these national camp selections can be I have a twinge of regret that he didn't go. 

Dazed and Confused

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 19/05/2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 11:39:11 AM »

What age group?  My son got the same email, but I think there were 18 players from the 05 EPD teams at the friendship cup were selected

Dazed and Confused

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 19/05/2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 11:40:23 AM »

What age group?  My son got the same email, but I think there were 18 players from the 05 EPD teams at the friendship cup were selected

What age group is your player?  I find it hard to believe some of the kids on the younger end of the age spectrum will be missing out on potential recruiting if they miss this one camp

kinznk

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 28/07/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 12:00:07 PM »

Dazed and Confused

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 19/05/2017
    • View Profile