The Pulse of Youth Soccer in Washington State

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Review  (Read 636 times)

merenguemom

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 26/08/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Video Review
« on: June 08, 2017, 09:42:58 AM »

I see a lot of videos being taken at games and am curious how often kids review these videos as a team with their coach, individually with parents or a trainer, or are they just posted for grandparents. 

I have been told that our club coaches review them together, and occasionally links are set up for the kids to look at them on their own. However, I am uncertain as to the utility of reviewing them without coach input.

Shinkicker

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 13/08/2015
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Video Review
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 04:45:27 AM »

Team videographer here.  Games are posted online, with the kids expected to review their performance and submit to coach.  Periodic video review sessions go over what went well and vice-versa.  Definite benefit to these teaching moments as they can be reviewed over and over.  Grandparents get copies as desired.

That said, this year we've hired a team for multiple camera angles, goal-cams, a gargantuan pole with a stereo 3D camera atop, and a drone flying overhead in case we miss anything.  Next year, we're hoping to have one of those cameras on a sliding track on the sideline that automatically follows the ball wherever it goes.  Can't afford the eighteen-wheeler truck yet with control room, so we're kinda playing it by ear at the moment.   I was hoping to fit each of the kids individually with GoPros on selfie sticks, but I've got one irascible parent who is having none of it.  PM me if you have suggestions.

tripleplay

• WPS-Hall of Fame Poster
  • Joined 17/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Video Review
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 09:19:39 AM »

In my opinion, it is a rare kid who benefits from watching video review, even with coach input. The worst use of video, but probably most common, would be parents forcing their kids to watch and listen to parent nagging.

That said, I am a fan of game video, and think it is a good thing. It can give valuable perspective - compare current play with 3-years-ago and see the forest instead of the tree, see how those "terrible" ref calls (according to partisan players and parents) are often right, replay the good plays because they are fun to relive, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up