The Pulse of Youth Soccer in Washington State

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NCAA eligibility question  (Read 1360 times)

ILoveWAState

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 14/07/2017
    Years
    • View Profile
NCAA eligibility question
« on: July 14, 2017, 08:12:28 PM »

Hi all. We used to live in WA state, and I hope to get back there someday. I followed this forum a lot while we lived there, and I figured that you guys would best be able to answer my question, even though we don't currently live in WA State (DD did play soccer in WA)...

In the meantime, DD has just graduated HS and is planning on attending an in-state university (where we are) this fall. This university does not have a soccer team, in any division. DD has played since she was 6, and has played competitively since she was 10. Never high-ranking clubs or Division 1 but she plays very well. Fast forward to this year - she started every varsity game this last season with her HS team, and they won region and then placed 3rd in state. It's a small state, nothing like WA for size or soccer players, but this still is a great accomplishment! Additionally, she made the state ODP training pool this year (although she has graduated HS and is going to college, she is still 17 and was born in late '99).

She is not opposed to transferring to another school to play soccer if the school is right for her. She is a National Honor Society student, has multiple academic awards, a 3.8 HS GPA, and is specifically interested in schools that offer high levels of science study. Not trying to brag... Ok, maybe just a little, but my point is that the academics are the most important thing to her. We didn't really work at getting her recruited to play soccer. I thought a lot about it, and did a lot of research, but although she had potential she never really fully blossomed at soccer until this last year, which - although she was a young senior, was her senior year. So now we have been getting a lot of offers but only from 2-year colleges (she already has a bunch of college credits under her belt from high school), religious schools (no offense to religious schools, but, none of them that have approached her have had the rigorous science programs that she is interested in), etc.

She *loves* soccer, and is very dedicated to it, and, is quite talented. That being said, she has played with a few really incredible soccer players throughout her years, i.e., D1 level (or will be) players. Both she and I know her limitations and she, sadly, is not D1 level - but she could probably easily play D2. I myself think she would absolutely love the experience of playing soccer in college, and, she just loves the game and she loves playing. As I said, she is not at all opposed to transferring schools to play soccer - she is just really picky about the school, because the academics have to be right for her regardless of the soccer.

I think I understand that she still has 4/5 years of NCAA eligibility left. Can anyone advise me on this? Would it be weird to try to try to get her recruited after she has already started university? What, exactly, are the years of eligibility left for her - like, would she really have to sit a year out if she transferred to a D2 school for soccer (I've read conflicting things about this online)? Could an exception be made since her university doesn't even offer soccer?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

ouch

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 06/10/2016
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA eligibility question
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 10:25:03 PM »

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D217.pdf#page153

I don't think she would have to wait.

Read

ILoveWAState

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 14/07/2017
    Years
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 10:50:13 PM »

Read

Thanks, I am not sure what you mean? Maybe it is my browser but that link just gives me the default of the 1st page of the pdf.

I think maybe you mean that there wouldn't be a year waiting period if my daughter transferred? If so, great!!

pullback

• WPS Poster
  • Joined 20/06/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 07:23:09 AM »

She would not have to sit out a year since she hasn't played and could/should start contacting coaches at other schools if she's interested in playing and yes she only has 5 years to play 4.

tripleplay

• WPS-Hall of Fame Poster
  • Joined 17/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 03:01:02 PM »

There seem to be a number of misconceptions. NCAA  "D1", "D2" etc are not playing levels. There is a lot of overlap. I'd be skeptical of any parental prediction that someone could easily play D2. You need to hear that from a school offering a spot. I would advise focussing first on academic fit, and consider things like club sports, IMs or even community leagues as a way to stay in the game.
If you do pursue transferring, I would act asap.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 03:08:41 PM by tripleplay »

ouch

• WPS Select Poster
  • Joined 06/10/2016
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 10:35:46 PM »

Read

Thanks, I am not sure what you mean? Maybe it is my browser but that link just gives me the default of the 1st page of the pdf.

I think maybe you mean that there wouldn't be a year waiting period if my daughter transferred? If so, great!!

14.5.5.3 Exceptions for Transfers From Four-Year Colleges. A transfer student (other than one under disciplinary suspension per Bylaw 14.5.1.1) from a four-year collegiate institution is not subject to the resi- dence requirement for intercollegiate competition, provided the student does not have an unful lled residence requirement at the institution from which he or she is transferring (except for the return to the original institu- tion without participation exception) and any of the following exceptions are satis ed. However, during the student-athlete’s  rst academic year of full-time collegiate enrollment, such conditions may serve as a basis for an exception to the residence requirement for transfer students to a Division II institution who, at the time of initial collegiate enrollment, met the requirements for “quali ers” (set forth in Bylaw 14.3.1.1) in Division II. See Bylaw 14.5.5.1.2.1 for additional information regarding the eligibility of a 2-4-4 transfer who attended the initial four-year institution for less than one academic year. (Revised: 1/10/90, 1/10/91 e ective 8/1/91, 1/10/05, 7/19/16)

14.5.5.3.5 Discontinued/Nonsponsored Sport Exception. In a particular sport when the student transfers at any time to the certifying institution and participates in the sport on the intercollegiate level after any of the following conditions has occurred:
(a)  e student’s original four-year collegiate institution dropped the sport [in which the student has participated in countable athletically related activities (see Bylaw 17.02.1) at that institution in in- tercollegiate competition] from its intercollegiate program.  is exception becomes applicable at the time the student-athlete’s institution indicates through public announcement that his or her sport will be discontinued; or (Revised: 1/12/04, 1/10/05)
(b)  e student’s original four-year collegiate institution never sponsored the sport on the intercollegiate level while the student was in attendance at the institution, provided the student had never trans- ferred from any other collegiate institution that o ered intercollegiate competition in that particular sport.

14.5.5.3.8 Nonrecruited Student Exception.  e student transfers to the certifying institution, and the following conditions are met:
(a)  e student-athlete was not recruited by the certifying institution (per Bylaw 13.02.10.1);
(b) No athletically related  nancial assistance has been received by the student-athlete; and
(c)  e student-athlete has not competed for any previous institution and has not participated in count- able athletically related activities (see Bylaw 17.02.1) in intercollegiate athletics beyond a 14-con- secutive calendar-day period at any previous institution.  e 14-consecutive-calendar-day period begins with the date on which the student-athlete  first engages in any countable athletically related activity. (Revised: 1/12/04, 1/8/07 for any transfer occurring on or after 8/1/06)

« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 10:42:02 PM by ouch »
Pages: [1]   Go Up